Senior Software Engineer, Observability Engineering
CarGurus, Cambridge, MA
Find and share automotive knowledge
Meet CarGurus—the #1 visited online car shopping website in the US. At CarGurus, we’re building the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace where it’s easy to find great deals from top-rated dealers.
Founded in 2006 by Langley Steinert (co-founder of TripAdvisor), CarGurus is a technology company with a passion for data and its power to simplify every aspect of the car shopping experience. Using proprietary technology, search algorithms, and innovative data analytics, we provide unbiased validation on pricing, dealer reputation, and vehicle history.
CarGurus is searching for a Senior Software Engineer focused on developing, maintaining and maturing our observability stack. You will be working to expose vital, real-time metrics across both applications and platform infrastructure to aid other engineers in monitoring and debugging their software. You will have broad responsibility over the entire observability stack that includes systems to handle metrics, logging, tracing and visualization of data. As part of the work, you will be involved in decision making across the entire on-premises and cloud-native infrastructure that the CarGurus application and infrastructure components are deployed on.
What you’ll do:
- Design, implement, maintain and deploy observability-related systems that cover the full stack:
- Application & infrastructure telemetry
- Application & infrastructure logs
- Metric visualization platforms
- Alerting management
- Help scale how our organization observes and operates across 200+ engineers and hundreds of services and artifacts, producing over 125 million log events and 4 million time series metrics per day
- Team up with SREs to refine observability needs regarding incidents and postmortems
- Contribute to the design and build-out of our Kubernetes-based re-platforming effort
- Convert existing on-premise observability infrastructure to a cloud-native environment
- Educate and promote best-practices for observability throughout the engineering organization
Who you are:
- Working knowledge of time-series databases, such as Prometheus and metrics
- Demonstrable experience with Kubernetes workloads, infrastructure, and ops
- Working knowledge of log aggregation, centralized logging using systems such as FluentD and td-agent
- Experience with medium to large metrics datasets
- Experience with real time, mission-critical telemetry
- Experience with one or more high-level programming languages
- Familiarity with Prometheus, Alertmanager, Grafana, FluentD, or Honeycomb
- Experience writing chef configuration management
- Working knowledge of java, golang
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
CarGurus employees in the US can choose to work from home / remotely for the duration of 2021, or participate in a phased return to our beautiful office spaces. We expect most roles to be in-office at least 3 days a week beginning January 2022. In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada and the UK. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.
At CarGurus, we believe a transparent car shopping experience is better for shoppers and sellers alike, and we innovate constantly to deliver on that promise. Today more than 20 Million (and growing) unique monthly visitors use our site and our mobile app to find their next car. With headquarters in Cambridge, MA, CarGurus has that "start-up feel" (we dislike meetings, play lots of foosball, have catered lunches and fun company outings—the list goes on). Unlike many start-ups, however, we have the advantage of being profitable (since 2010!) with sustained revenue growth. CarGurus is an engineering-driven company with a passion for data, and that drives everything from the speed at which we launch new products to the spirit of innovation that drives our company’s culture.
Want to learn more about CarGurus? Visit CarGurus's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.