Engineering Manager, Platform as a Service
CarGurus, Cambridge, MA
Find and share automotive knowledge
Who we are
At CarGurus (NASDAQ: CARG), our mission is to give people the power to reach their destination. It all started in 2006 when Langley Steinert—Tripadvisor’s cofounder—gathered a small team of developers to help bring trust and transparency to car shopping. Since then, our history of innovation and go-to-market acceleration has driven industry-leading growth. In fact, we’re the largest and fastest-growing automotive marketplace, and we’ve been profitable for over 15 years.
What we do
The market is evolving, and we are too, moving the entire automotive journey online and guiding our customers through every step. That includes everything from the sale of an old car to the financing, purchase, and delivery of a new one. Today, tens of millions of consumers visit CarGurus.com each month, and ~30,000 dealerships use our products. But they're not the only ones who love CarGurus—our employees do, too. We have a people-first culture that fosters kindness, collaboration, and innovation, and empowers our Gurus with tools to fuel their career growth. Disrupting a trillion-dollar industry requires fresh and diverse perspectives. Come join us for the ride!
CarGurus’ Platform as a Service (PaaS) team is hiring a Manager, Engineering. The PaaS team plays a key role for CarGurus to operate at scale and improve developer efficiency throughout platform systems. We are constantly modernizing our technology platform and are looking for a leader who is passionate about Continuous Delivery, Platform as a service, self-service pipelines, and ephemeral environments. They will be collaborating with the Director of Engineering and working closely with their engineering peers.
What you'll do
- Lead the PaaS team that owns our pipelines, ephemeral environments, and journey to full continuous delivery.
- Provide coaching, mentorship, and technical leadership to the team.
- Offer significant strategic vision to scale platform as a service offerings.
- Collaborate with engineers and managers across the organization to understand and solve technical challenges.
- Empower the CarGurus development community with self-service ephemeral environments.
- Champion the art of moving fast in a controlled manner by adopting Continuous Delivery.
- Use Agile Scrum to deliver on the team’s commitments and strengthen the team's velocity over time.
- Contribute to roadmap definition.
- Drive projects and initiatives through the full development lifecycle.
What you'll bring
- A developer at heart, who is passionate about automating all things.
- Previous experience leading a team of engineers with a passion for DevOps and Automation.
- Strong practitioner of Agile scrum methodology and ability to mentor the team on standard methodologies as and when needed.
- Experience driving metrics for the organization.
- Experience with affecting change and establishing standard methodologies where needed.
- Ability to translate broad company strategies into clear, specific objectives and impactful plans.
Working at CarGurus
We reward our Gurus’ curiosity and passion with best-in-class benefits and compensation, including equity for all employees, both when they start and as they continue to grow with us. Our career development and corporate giving programs, as well as our employee resource groups (ERGs) and communities, help people build connections while making an impact in personally meaningful ways. A flexible hybrid model and robust time off policies encourage work-life balance and individual well-being. Thoughtful perks like daily free lunch, a new car discount, meditation and fitness apps, commuting cost coverage, and more help our people create space for what matters most in their personal and professional lives.
We welcome all
CarGurus strives to be a place to which people can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—starting with our hiring process. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. We foster an inclusive environment that values people for their skills, experiences, and unique perspectives. That’s why we hope you’ll apply even if you don’t check every box listed in the job description. We want to know what only you can bring to CarGurus.
US employees must provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. #LI-Hybrid
At CarGurus, we believe a transparent car shopping experience is better for shoppers and sellers alike, and we innovate constantly to deliver on that promise. Today more than 20 Million (and growing) unique monthly visitors use our site and our mobile app to find their next car. With headquarters in Cambridge, MA, CarGurus has that "start-up feel" (we dislike meetings, play lots of foosball, have catered lunches and fun company outings—the list goes on). Unlike many start-ups, however, we have the advantage of being profitable (since 2010!) with sustained revenue growth. CarGurus is an engineering-driven company with a passion for data, and that drives everything from the speed at which we launch new products to the spirit of innovation that drives our company’s culture.
Want to learn more about CarGurus? Visit CarGurus's website.
Payroll Services. Benefits. Compliance.