Principal Software Engineer, SG
Carousell is the leading classifieds group in Greater Southeast Asia on a mission to inspire the world to start selling, and to make secondhand the first choice. Founded in August 2012 in Singapore, the group has a leading presence in eight markets under the brands Carousell, Mudah.my, Cho Tot, OneKyat and Ox Street, serving tens of millions of monthly active users. We have three technology development centres in Singapore, Taiwan and India, as well as offices in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia, Myanmar, and Vietnam. Carousell is backed by leading investors, including Telenor Group, Rakuten Ventures, Naver, STIC Investments and Sequoia Capital India.
As a team of passionate individuals working together to solve meaningful problems, there is so much more for you to discover in a career with Carousell. Our culture is made up of hiring, developing, and promoting people who embody our values of solving problems for our users; having a mission-first mindset; being relentlessly resourceful; caring deeply; and staying humble to constantly improve. Together as an organisation, we make magic happen.
About The Role
We are looking for a strong hands on engineer and technical leader passionate about building products users love backed by scalable systems and effective architecture. As a Principal Software Engineer you will be the technical leader for our Paying Users and Verticals domains. The Paying User team helps users like merchants and power sellers achieve additional success in our Marketplace with visibility products, as well as marketing, merchandising and operations tools. The Verticals team creates deep, delightful buyer and seller experiences for specialized high value categories of Autos, Property and Services. Together these products are responsible for the majority of Carousell’s revenue. The role reports to an Engineering Director.
- Lead large, complex, cross-team technical projects
- Think deeply about technology and architecture choices in your domains, communicate trade-offs, and often take the decisions
- Contribute directly to high and low level design and write code. Serve as a role model and inspiration to other engineers for how to build software
- Work closely with product managers, designers and engineers across multiple platforms and domains
- Collaborate with other principal and senior engineers in the organization on org wide platform, process and technology choices. Initiate and lead technical projects and changes to existing processes, that will improve the quality of our codebase and systems, reduce technical debt and improve our developer productivity.
- Mentor engineers in the organization, imparting technical knowledge, industry best practices and leadership skills.
- Build deep product and business domain knowledge in paying users and vertical domains, and use it to build innovative features for our users.
- 10+ years experience in software development, and 3+ years of experience working in product development as a Lead Engineer or equivalent technical leadership role
- Experience as a technical lead across multiple engineering teams
- Track record of building scalable systems. Experience with microservices and exposure to highly available web scale systems is a must
- Strong CS foundation and practical experience with software development, architecture and design. Excellent knowledge of distributed system concepts, problems and solution patterns
- Knowledge of modern tech stacks. Strong, hands on programming skills: Go, Python, or Java
- Deep knowledge of open source and cloud native software
- Strong knowledge of storage technologies, including databases (Postgres), key value stores (Cassandra etc), caching systems (Redis) and search engines (Elasticsearch)
- User obsession and empathy
- Focus on impact and results. You work on the right things and get them done
- Drive and resourcefulness to persevere and overcome obstacles achieving challenging goals
- High integrity and ability to positively collaborate with others
- Ability to speak and write succinctly and clearly in English
By clicking on Submit, you are accepting to our PDPA policies. In case you are interested to know more, read about our Candidates Personal Data Privacy Statement [https://support.carousell.com/hc/en-us/articles/4410378144537-Candidates-Personal-Data-Privacy-Statement].
Carousell is a mobile classifieds marketplace that makes selling as easy as taking a photo, buying as simple as chatting. Launched in August 2012 by the 3 co-founders Quek Siu Rui, Marcus Tan, and Lucas Ngoo, Carousell began in Singapore and has spread to 19 cities around the world. With over 65 million listings, we are one of the world’s largest and fastest growing marketplaces. Carousell has been ranked as the top Lifestyle and Shopping app in Singapore, Taiwan, and Hong Kong, and is backed by leading international Venture Capitalists Sequoia India, Rakuten Ventures, 500 Startups, Golden Gate Ventures, and QuestVC.
Want to learn more about Carousell? Visit Carousell's website.
Our cornerstone is knowledge of the home, family, food and lifestyle markets.