Looking for a job to get you out of bed?
Casper is looking for a Cost Engineer to join our Operations team in our San Francisco office. The cost engineer will report into our Director of Engineering and work closely with our Product Design, Sourcing, and Operations teams to ensure accurate and timely costing off Casper's products.
Casper (casper.com) is a global sleep company that launched in 2014 with an obsessively engineered, outrageously comfortable mattress sold directly to consumers. Its critically acclaimed sleep surface was developed in-house, has a sleek design, and is delivered in a small, "how did they do that?"-sized box. The company is one of the fastest-growing consumer brands of all time, and its product line has expanded to include sheets, pillows, a matching foundation, and a dog mattress. Casper was named one of Fast Company's 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2017, and its eponymous mattress was crowned one of TIME Magazine's Best Inventions.
We are deeply committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce so that we represent all those who dream big equally.
When you’re not catching zzz’s, this is what you’ll do
The Cost Engineer is responsible for the collection and analysis of information to accurately estimate and report costs associated with product manufacturing and logistics. The cost engineer will work proactively toward cost target objectives in collaboration with others.
- Determine cost estimate targets during the design and development process, recommending cost effective solutions.
- Gather proposals, specifications and related documents to work with stakeholders in order to convert specifications to cost estimates for new and current products.
- Utilize cost methodologies, tools and appropriate software packages to prepare and maintain reliable and accurate cost data.
- Establish bottoms up cost estimates of production processes, tooling and materials inclusive of multiple alternatives and recommendations for improvement.
- Assess cost effectiveness of products and track actual costs relative to budget and report status on a regular basis to ensure costs are in line with forecasts.
- Monitor and review data and information to detect or assess problems.
- Investigate and identify cost reduction opportunities through cost analysis review.
- Contribute to cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures while monitoring trends.
- Prepare cost and expenditure statements and reports along with other necessary documentation at regular intervals to share with others in the business.
- Support all activities in cost estimating and take a proactive approach toward improvements.
- Provide cost estimates during change process and advise of cost impact of changes. Track and monitor activity.
- Work with stakeholders to ensure cost estimates are accurate and up to date.
- Ensure competitive pricing among suppliers by working with sourcing, procurement and suppliers.
- Analyze supplier quotes and provide information which aids communications and negotiations with suppliers with an aim for cost reductions and meeting target costs.
Our dream candidate is...
- Engineering degree required - MBA or Master’s degree preferred
- 5+ years of experience in project management, new product introduction and product costing in consumer goods including furniture, soft goods and electronics.
- Working knowledge of a variety of manufacturing processes, materials and associated costs including injection molding, stamping, casting, MIM, PCBs, textile mfg and assembly
- Strong analytical, reporting and communication skills.
- Excellent software skills including spreadsheets, database management and presentations
- 6 Sigma certification and experience preferred
- Strong project management and cross-functional working style preferred
- Must love sleep!
The syrup on your waffles
- Salary to pay your bills, a potential bonus for some splurging, and equity so that you’re part of the Casper family.
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance to help you with those coughs or cavities (too many waffles...).
- 401K program so you can still spend money later in life.
- Extra cash incentives for being healthy and fit (we actually give you money to track your sleep!).
- Unlimited vacation policy. If you need time off just take it; we trust you!
- Bi-weekly catered lunches to catch up with your teammates.
- Free snacks and coffee, including a huge breakfast selection (10 types of cereal anyone?)
- Nap pods, for those days when you stayed out a little too late...
- A full gifted bed set when you join (mattress, sheets, pillows, the works)!
If you dream about this stuff this job is probably right for you. We look forward to learning more about you, but if you’re feeling sleepy, take a nap before applying!
Casper is a global sleep company that launched in 2014 with one perfect mattress sold directly to consumers — eliminating commission-driven, inflated prices. Its critically acclaimed sleep surface was developed in-house, has a sleek design, and is delivered in a small, "how did they do that?"-sized box.
Want to learn more about Casper? Visit Casper's website.
Jobs You May Like
Front End Engineer *
Credit Karma, San Francisco, CA
Senior Software Engineer, Android
Strava, San Francisco, CA
Senior Software Engineer, Membership Engineering
Netflix, Los Gatos, California
Senior IT Security Engineer
Tinder, Los Angeles
Senior Site Reliability Engineer
TripAdvisor, Oxford, England
Full Stack Software Engineer
Blink Health, Westford, Mass