Looking for a job to get you out of bed?
Casper is seeking an experienced Industrial Designer to lead our product design team. We are growing our brand to be synonymous with sleep, and have a broad and ambitious development pipeline that spans soft goods, furniture and consumer electronics. We are looking for someone who wants to help lead and develop our team of designers and put wonderful products and packaging out into the world.
Casper (casper.com) is a global sleep company that launched in 2014 with an obsessively engineered, outrageously comfortable mattress sold directly to consumers. Its critically acclaimed sleep surface was developed in-house, has a sleek design, and is delivered in a small, "how did they do that?"-sized box. The company is one of the fastest-growing consumer brands of all time, and its product line has expanded to include sheets, pillows, a matching foundation, and a dog mattress. Casper was named one of Fast Company's 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2017, and its eponymous mattress was crowned one of TIME Magazine's Best Inventions.
We are deeply committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce so that we represent all those who dream big equally.
When you're not catching zzz's, this is what you'll do!
- Design and build best-in-class products and packaging.
- Internalize and own the Casper aesthetic, continuously developing and refining it and translating it into new product categories.
- Strongly represent ID in internal discussions and debates.
- Mentor, develop and inspire design team (industrial designers, graphic designers & interaction designers). Oversee and facilitate growth within the design team.
- Participate in product brief requirements and timelines. Ensure deliverables are met.
- Ensure that designs fit into the company’s business plan and strategic vision.
- Communicate and work seamlessly with our Engineering, Operations, Marketing, Wholesale, Retail and Tech teams to ensure that great ideas make it through to production and launch on time and on budget.
- Oversee the design team budget including project costs, materials and outsourced service providers.
Our dream candidate has...
- 15+ years leading cross-functional design teams in creating exceptional consumer products
- World-class industrial design talent.
- Demonstrated history of crafting a long term vision for product design teams.
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead a team of designers--recruiting great designers, challenging and inspiring them to push the envelope, building a design culture and culture of critique.
- History of being a voice of inspiration, insight and authority on design and user experience (industrial design, interaction design, visual design and the end-to-end experience).
- Experience working across soft goods, furniture and consumer electronics is desired.
- Start-up experience is desired.
- Agency background is desired
- In-house experience is desired.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills--the ability to influence an organization.
- Exceptional people skills. High emotional intelligence.
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in Industrial Design
- Global travel required: 10-15% of time.
- Job located in San Francisco.
The syrup on your waffles
- Salary to pay your bills, a potential bonus for some splurging, and equity so that you’re part of the Casper family.
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance to help you with those coughs or cavities (too many waffles...).
- 401K program so you can still spend money later in life.
- Extra cash incentives for being healthy and fit (we actually give you money to track your sleep!).
- Unlimited vacation policy. If you need time off just take it; we trust you!
- Bi-weekly catered lunches to catch up with your teammates.
- Free snacks and coffee, including a huge breakfast selection (10 types of cereal anyone?)
- Nap pods, for those days when you stayed out a little too late...
- A full gifted bed set when you join (mattress, sheets, pillows, the works)!
If you dream about this stuff this job is probably right for you. We look forward to learning more about you, but if you’re feeling sleepy, take a nap before applying!
Casper is a global sleep company that launched in 2014 with one perfect mattress sold directly to consumers — eliminating commission-driven, inflated prices. Its critically acclaimed sleep surface was developed in-house, has a sleek design, and is delivered in a small, "how did they do that?"-sized box.