We've built an events business doing $X,000,000s (aka millions) in revenue.
We're looking for an entrepreneur to help us aggressively grow the business to tens of millions in revenue within a couple of years.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You don't need to have events experience for this role. We're looking primarily for a growth-minded executive who can understand a business, its drivers and build a strategy and team to hit aggressive goals and a product that attendees & sponsors love.
What started with a few dinners has ballooned into 1100+ person events including our flagship Future of Fintech conference in addition to a few other conferences.
We have data, research, a technology platform, analysts and tech's largest newsletter which need to be activated and create "events done right".
What are “events done right”?
- They are content-first
- They are built on a foundation of respect for attendees – for their time, for their intelligence and for their goals
- They create connections among the audience
- They are fun, distinctive and don’t feel like every other event
This also means no sponsors on stage doing sales pitches dressed up as thought leadership.
We want to build events that people leave and tell others about.
WHY A GM OF EVENTS?
Our goal is to scale our events business dramatically. We need a proven leader who can build this business.
The leader will be able to:
Develop a compelling content strategy – This includes identifying the topics that the audience cares about, creating the agenda and format and recruiting the speakers our audience wants to hear from. The goal of an event’s content is to influence our audience’s thinking and leave them inspired and informed.
Drive attendance – We have amazing assets including tech’s largest newsletter (572,600+ subscribers) and several industry vertical newsletters (150,000+ subscribers) to help here as well as millions of visitors to our website. The right leader will know how to leverage these assets and complement them with other strategies to market and promote events to drive attendance and hit aggressive financial goals.
Build a big business – We want to scale events and believe we can scale our existing events further and/or complement them with other flagship events in other verticals. We need a leader who can develop a complete, holistic strategy for these events.
Hit aggressive financial targets – Related to the above, the right leader will know how to:
- Sell tickets to events
- Develop exhibitor and sponsor revenue opportunities (while remembering our no sponsor on stage rule)
- Cross-promote the CBI technology platform to drive retention and new business opportunities
Create compelling, memorable events – Ensuring attendees have a great experience on the days of events is absolutely requisite. We want to offer high-end, exclusive and memorable events that they talk about. No detail is too small.
Role and Responsibilities:
Working directly with Anand Sanwal (CEO / co-founder), the GM, Events will be responsible for the strategy, planning, operations and execution of the company’s world-class events programs. Specifically, this person will:
- Create a strategy and plan for a unique and hard-hitting series of events
- Develop and manage direct P&L of the events business (ticket sales, exhibitor, sponsor and other ancillary revenue streams) along with goals around CBI platform retention and new sales
- Own and execute all aspects of events, including:
- Developing a compelling content strategy
- Driving attendance
- Creating compelling, memorable events
- Work closely with research, sales and marketing leadership as needed to ensure alignment on strategy and execution of events
- Retain, attract, hire and lead exceptional talent
- Proven track record of success creating, organizing and managing a business (it need not be an events business)
- Experience developing a challenger brand
- Previous P&L responsibility managing revenue of at least $5 million and a track-record of growing it aggressively
- Exceptional relationship building and collaboration skills; experience as a leader having worked cross-functionally to prioritize and deliver on the vision and roadmap
- Strong leadership / management skills; ability to recruit and retain top notch talent to join the CB Insights team
- Familiarity and deep interest in technology, business models and trends of the future
- High level of intellectual horsepower with strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Must have high standards
- Have exceptional attention to detail
- Can think strategically as well as be focused on day-to-day execution; clarity of thought is a must
- Exceptional capacity for creativity and execution
- Highly organized, self-directed business style, with a keen sense and ability to prioritize
- Systems thinking ability to view overall structures, patterns and cycles in systems, rather than seeing only specific events in the system
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to synthesize the relevant information and present it in the most effective, concise, compelling way possible within the organization and at all levels of a customer and partner organization, including executive and C-level
- Insatiable curiosity around industries, events, trends and data
- Competitive and winning while having fun and being collaborative
- Humility, ambition, tenacity a must
We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Perks and Benefits:
- Subsidized health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k with up to 4% match
- $1,000 yearly continuing education stipend
- Daily lunch stipend
Happy, Helpful, Humble, and Hungry: Check out more about our company culture here.
Equal Opportunity Employer: CB Insights is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you know someone who'd be perfect for the role,
submit here and you'll be eligible for $5,000!
About CB Insights
CB Insights has built a tech market intelligence platform that analyzes millions of data points on venture capital, startups, patents, partnerships and news media to predict technology trends.
Be a Better CB Insights Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at CB Insights when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about CB Insights? Visit CB Insights's website.
Jobs You May Like
Sales Supervisor, NYC Market
Warby Parker, New York, NY
Customer Service Expert- UK
Enjoy, Cardiff, Wales
Freelance Russian Social Customer Care Moderator
Badoo, London, UK
Sales Development Representative
Spry Health, Palo Alto, California
Airbnb Pro Referrer - Los Angeles
Account Executive, Transport
Indigo, Memphis, TN