Senior Software Engineer, Backend
CB Insights, New York, NY or Remote
Software that predicts technology trends.
Develop a state-of-the-art product. Make sense of the future. Use data to drive business.
If you are a passionate coder who wants to make an impact working on a product that clients love, we’d want to talk with you.
At CB Insights, we build products that help clients make sense of the future and drive their businesses forward, using data. Our systems retrieve large amounts of structured and unstructured data, use scientific methods to extract knowledge and insights from the data and present the data through a sophisticated dynamic user interface which enables the user to find answers to their most important questions.
The Role You’ll Play:
As a Senior Backend Software Engineer at CB Insights you will be part of a cross-disciplinary, self-motivated team with clear ownership and passion to form the future. Our crew uses state-of-the-art technologies and writes quality code that ships often.
Our backend software engineers work with Python and Go to build microservices to power front-ends and other services. Our services run in Docker on AWS and we use Hashicorp’s suite to manage our containers.
We focus on modularity and reuse where it makes sense, while ensuring that there are no constraints to delivering world-class software continuously.
We want to find the best person for the role regardless of where you are located and this role is open for candidates who are working remote as well as candidates who prefer to work from our New York City office.
If this sounds interesting to you, reach out and join CB Insights now.
Your Main Tasks:
- Develop features for our next generation market intelligence platform on a small Agile team of 6-8 engineers.
- Consistently and frequently deliver solutions that are well-engineered, maintainable and tested within the agreed upon timeframe.
- Participate in code reviews and sprint planning, help identify opportunities, work through challenges and share knowledge with colleagues.
- Collaborate with the product team to understand business requirements.
- Mentor and guide other software engineers.
What you bring to the table:
- An experienced engineer who is passionate about coding and who has learned through several years of experience in the field
- Relational database proficiency, including ER modelling and performance optimization (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Aurora)
- Experience building microservices and thorough understanding of service-oriented architecture
- Proficiency developing in a Mac/Linux environment
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
- Agile and Lean value set (we follow a variant of Scrum and use Jira)
- Strong attention to detail and quality
- Comfortable working with engineers that are remote as well as from the local office
What’s CB Insights All About
The CB Insights platform is the smartest way to explore and exploit emerging technologies. We help the world’s leading companies accelerate their digital strategy and transformation with data, not opinion. Our Emerging Technology Insights Platform fuses machine and human intelligence to help you discover and manage your response to emerging technology startups and markets.
- Amazing culture that emphasizes Hard Work, High Standards, Hunger, Helpfulness, and Humility. Learn more here
- A newsletter that 700k+ people follow: Sign up here.
- Be Healthy: Health with HSA and FSA options, dental, and vision insurance along with unlimited/take what you need sick day policy
- Plan for the future: 401k with up to 4% match
- Continued Learning: $1,000 yearly continuing education stipend
- Rest and Relax: Competitive vacation and holiday plans
- Refuel: In-office daily lunch stipend, unlimited snacks/coffee
We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Equal Opportunity Employer: CB Insights is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you know someone who'd be perfect for the role,
submit here and you'll be eligible for $5,000!
About CB Insights
CB Insights has built a tech market intelligence platform that analyzes millions of data points on venture capital, startups, patents, partnerships and news media to predict technology trends.
Be a Better CB Insights Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at CB Insights when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about CB Insights? Visit CB Insights's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.