Staff Software Engineer (Pacific Squad)
Change.org, San Francisco, USA
Platform for petitions and social change
As a key member of our Engineering team, you’ll:
- Build features through coding in frontend and fullstack
- Collaborate cross-functionally to create great user experience
- Establish best practices in code and architecture, within the team and across engineering organization
- Debug issues across the stack
- Perform code reviews and mentor other engineers to level up the team
- Have the ability to break down ambiguous problems into actionable chunks and then execute on them
Some example projects that our team has worked on or you’ll be apart of:
- A campaign hub where petition starters can view the latest stats and development on their petition and take action to engage with supporters and grow their petition
- A custom URL tool for petition starters to create short and memorable URLs to promote their petition - the system that powers this tool withstands hundreds of thousands of usages each day worldwide
- Helping petition starters understand the Promotion product on Change.org through features that provide a free trial and historical data results
- An advice framework that gives the most useful piece of advice for the petition starter at that moment given their petition characteristics and where they are on the campaign journey
The most important capabilities for the role are:
- FE skills (React.js, Typescript, GraphQL): Skilled to expert level or above with React. Experience with Typescript and GraphQL or similar technologies on production systems.
- Full-stack application development: Ability to work throughout our tech stack (React, Ruby, Elixir) with amplified ability to work on the frontend. Good understanding of web architecture.
- Technical Leadership: Ability to breakdown vague product requirements and piece together comprehensive plans to allow for full team execution
- Coaching & Mentorship: You’ve helped shape and define other engineers’ growth. You have demonstrated successful knowledge sharing, adjusting ways based on different audiences.
- Cross-functional communication & collaboration: Ability to collaborate well with product manager, designer, and stakeholders to create great user experience, creative solutions, and build alignment
- User experience advocacy: Has both passion and past experience in UI/UX. Ability to understand products and users deeply and provide solutions to improve user experience.
- 8 years of software engineering experience
- 5 years of frontend framework experience (e.g. Angular, Vue, Rendr) with 1+ years in React and comfort in the full stack
- 1+ year of tech lead experience
Additional experience we are looking for:
- UX design experience
- Elixir/Ruby experience
Change.org is the world’s largest social change platform with nearly 200 million users in 196 countries. Every day, people around the world use our tools to transform their communities. We make it possible for anyone to start a campaign and immediately mobilize hundreds of others locally or hundreds of thousands around the world, making governments and companies more responsive and accountable.
Want to learn more about Change.org? Visit Change.org's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.