Software Engineer - Data Platform
Checkr, San Francisco
Checkr provides modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups.
Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving the understanding of the past. Since graduating Y-Combinator in 2014, Checkr’s product has shifted the on-demand economy and has continued to scale into serving enterprise companies across various industries. As a company that provides modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups, Checkr knows first hand how difficult it may be for individuals with prior criminal history to find employment and we want to help provide fair chances for the formerly convicted. A career with Checkr provides the opportunity to make an impact on the professional lives of millions of people and we encourage all qualified individuals to apply for our roles.
We are looking for engineers with a strong foundation in distributed systems and Big Data processing engines to help build our data platform from the ground up. Our data platform processes large amounts of data and enables everyone at Checkr to yield informed decisions regarding product investments. We use Airflow, Hive, Presto for assembling data and MySQL/Mongo for our online use cases.
What a typical week may look like at Checkr:
- Identify innovative applications of data that can enable new products
- Build pipelines to transport and transform data to drive various products and analytics use cases
- Enable ML based product development by building frameworks for accessing data
- Architect systems for scale to keep up with huge influx of data as Checkr continues to grow
What we value in a Data Engineer:
- 2+ years industry experience in backend or data engineering teams, building systems for scale
- Experience with tools like Hadoop / EMR / Apache Spark for processing data
- Experience with NoSQL data stores like Mongo or Cassandra
- Proficiency in Ruby or Python
- Academic background in computer science or equivalent (BSc or MSc)
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment where we leverage the latest technology
- Hands-on coaching and professional development
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement – a true meritocracy
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Flexible PTO policy
- Gym membership, transportation reimbursements
- Catered lunch, dinner, and snacks
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history (in accordance with San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance as well as state and/or federal laws).
Checkr has found the way to balance safety and consumer protection. It is our responsibility to be accurate and help our clients avoid errors. Background screenings are transactions that rely on trust and we believe trust is based on transparency. Consumers deserve more transparency on their rights and the information in their report. Employers deserve more transparency on data, its value and their responsibilities.
Want to learn more about Checkr? Visit Checkr's website.
Jobs You May Like
Lead Software Developer - International Growth
Shopify, Ottawa, Canada
Senior Network Engineer
Hyperloop One, Los Angeles
Software Design Engineer in Test
Animoto, New York, New York
Senior Web Developer (Boston)
Intrepid Pursuits, Boston, MA
Senior Software Development Engineer in Test
Rubrik, Palo Alto, CA
Software Engineer Intern (Full Stack)
Factual, Los Angeles