Software Engineer - Backend Core
Checkr, San Francisco
Checkr provides modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups.
Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving the understanding of the past. Since graduating Y-Combinator in 2014, Checkr’s product has shifted the on-demand economy and has continued to scale into serving enterprise companies across various industries. As a company that provides modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups, Checkr knows first hand how difficult it may be for individuals with prior criminal history to find employment and we want to help provide fair chances for the formerly convicted. A career with Checkr provides the opportunity to make an impact on the professional lives of millions of people and we encourage all qualified individuals to apply for our roles.
Checkr is looking for Backend Engineers to help building out the core logic of our background check engine.This involves implementing new workflows for our background check reports, building integrations with third-party data sources and internal services.
The main challenge for this position is around reliability: our background checks impact millions of people in real life and therefore the output of our engine has to be robust. Behind the scenes, we embrace micro-services as the best way to isolate everything and selecting the right tool for the job. We also love asynchronous architectures and building RESTful APIs. Checkr was founded by engineers for engineers; we want to create the best environment for developers to build, learn and love their work.
What a typical week may look like at Checkr:
- Building new features and testing them
- Collaborate with peers to brainstorm new product ideas from design, implementation to release
- Talking to your team and deciding how an API method should work and look like
- Whiteboarding to fix scaling issues and then implementing it
- Contribute to internal tooling to help improve our workflow, increase efficiency and making everyone’s lives more simplistic
- Help identify, triage and solve bugs
What we value in a Backend Engineer:
- You have curiosity in figuring out how to deliver clean, robust and scalable code
- You have experience with at least one of the following -- micro-services, API design, TDD infrastructure or open source software
- You understand how to build out reliable distributed systems and can deeply discuss tradeoffs
- Experience with queueing architectures
- You are a strong communicator and can bridge concepts to PMs and other engineers
- Proficiency in Ruby or Python
- Academic background in computer science or equivalent (BSc or MSc)
- Experience with microservices
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment where we leverage the latest technology
- Hands-on coaching and professional development
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement – a true meritocracy
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Gym membership, transportation reimbursements
- Catered lunch, dinner, and snacks
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history (in accordance with San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance as well as state and/or federal laws).
Checkr has found the way to balance safety and consumer protection. It is our responsibility to be accurate and help our clients avoid errors. Background screenings are transactions that rely on trust and we believe trust is based on transparency. Consumers deserve more transparency on their rights and the information in their report. Employers deserve more transparency on data, its value and their responsibilities.
Want to learn more about Checkr? Visit Checkr's website.
Jobs You May Like
Software Engineer in Test
CloudHealth Technologies, London, UK
Software Engineer, Directories Integration (Senior/Staff/Principal)
Okta, Bellevue WA, San Jose CA, San Francisco CA
Lead Software Engineer
Rapid7, El Segundo
Software Development Engineer - Smart TV
Hotstar, Bangalore, Karnataka
Sr. Full Stack Engineer (Scala)
1010data, New York, NY
Software Engineer, Web Application Security
Samsara, San Francisco