Senior Data Engineer
Checkr, San Francisco
Checkr provides modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups.
Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving the understanding of the past. Since graduating Y-Combinator in 2014, Checkr’s product has shifted the on-demand economy and has continued to scale into serving enterprise companies across various industries. As a company that provides modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups, Checkr knows first hand how difficult it may be for individuals with prior criminal history to find employment and we want to help provide fair chances for the formerly convicted. A career with Checkr provides the opportunity to make an impact on the professional lives of millions of people and we encourage all qualified individuals to apply for our roles.
We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer with a strong foundation in architecting modern cloud-based data warehouses that help to empower data-driven decision making across teams and organizations. As Checkr scales, so does the need to evolve our underlying data infrastructure. You will have the opportunity to work with key business stakeholders and engineering partners to help shape the long-term data strategy of our company and to build a data ecosystem that supports that strategy. While our current data platform uses Airflow, Kafka, Spark, and Snowflake, you will also evaluate open-source tools and vendors that expand our data capabilities, and ensure that our foundational data services and processes scale together with the rest of the company. This is an exciting opportunity to play a crucial role in the growth of Checkr!
What a typical week at Checkr might include:
- Build critical data pipelines that serve as the foundation for Checkr’s data platform
- Build/deploy tools that help streamline the management and operation of our data ecosystem
- Establish internal data-related APIs for Checkr services
- Build/deploy tools that monitor data integrity and data pipeline testing
- Create data models and services that empower BI, analytics and machine learning use cases
- Identify innovative applications of data that can enable new products or insights
- Architect systems for scale to keep up with a huge influx of data as Checkr continues to grow
What we value in a Software Engineer for this role:
- 8+ years of industry experience in backend or data engineering teams, building systems for scale
- Experience with MPP databases (Redshift, Snowflake)
- Experience with data warehousing architecture and data modeling
- Experience communicating and managing data warehouse changes with internal stakeholders
- Experience and passion for mentoring other data engineers
- Proficiency with a scripting language (Python or Ruby preferred) and SQL
- Academic background in computer science or equivalent (BSc or MSc)
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment where we leverage the latest technology
- Hands-on coaching and professional development
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Gym membership, transportation reimbursements
- Catered lunch, dinner, and snacks
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history (in accordance with San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance as well as state and/or federal laws).
Checkr has found the way to balance safety and consumer protection. It is our responsibility to be accurate and help our clients avoid errors. Background screenings are transactions that rely on trust and we believe trust is based on transparency. Consumers deserve more transparency on their rights and the information in their report. Employers deserve more transparency on data, its value and their responsibilities.