Head of Tax
Checkr, San Francisco, Denver, Remote
Checkr provides modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups.
We’re looking for a Head of Tax (Sr Director) who will manage all aspects of Checkr’s global tax strategy, planning, reporting, audits and compliance. This role will interact with senior leaders across the organization and will be the liaison to coordinate the flow of information between various functions. This position will provide leadership, guidance and assistance across all tax-related matters, and will develop and refine best practices across all insurance related issues. This strategic, but hands-on role will report directly to the VP Finance Operations.
- Oversee completion of federal, international and state income tax returns including all related analysis and support; manage audits of federal and state income tax and state and local filings
- Lead and oversee the preparation of all jurisdictional income tax provisions including ensuring accurate and timely ASC 740 tax accounting and financial reporting disclosures
- Monitor legislative changes in tax laws that may impact tax positions, including tax accounting implications
- Provide forecasts and guidance regarding future effective tax rates and cash taxes
- Ensure appropriate internal controls related to tax matters are in place and operating correctly.
- Conduct extensive communication with leadership across business functions (Accounting, Legal, Treasury, Financial Planning, Operations, HR)
- Research complex tax issues and summarize results to communicate to management and regularly engage with planning opportunities and tax law changes.
- Perform tax due diligence, provide structural advice on transactions, analyze proposed acquisitions, collaborate with deal teams and provide ad hoc advice on all tax matters.
- Establish and maintain formal tax policies, practices and procedures to ensure US GAAP compliance and strong internal controls with Sarbanes-Oxley compliance
- Manage outside tax consultants and advisors
- Own and provide guidance across all insurance related matters
- Oversee and/or complete special projects as required
What you bring:
- Bachelor’s degree with 10+ years of relevant tax experience, preferably with a mix of public accounting and multinational corporate environment
- CPA preferred
- Technology industry experience, with SaaS industry experience, preferred
- International tax experience preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, to convey complex matters with simplicity and clarity to non-experts across the company
- Strong knowledge of state and local corporate income tax as well as sales/use and property tax
- Must have a demonstrated hands-on approach and success in working in a team-based environment
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, high growth environment
*The base salary for this position will vary based on geography and other factors. In accordance with Colorado law, the base salary for this role if filled within Colorado is $216,750-$255,000.
Checkr has found the way to balance safety and consumer protection. It is our responsibility to be accurate and help our clients avoid errors. Background screenings are transactions that rely on trust and we believe trust is based on transparency. Consumers deserve more transparency on their rights and the information in their report. Employers deserve more transparency on data, its value and their responsibilities.
Want to learn more about Checkr? Visit Checkr's website.
Payroll Services. Benefits. Compliance.