Are you passionate about creating a diverse, thriving community for social and environmental innovators, entrepreneurs, funders, and activists? Join us to support our Boston community in driving tangible solutions to the world’s most pressing issues.
Impact Hub Boston seeks an established business and cultural leader with deep networks, who has demonstrably increased revenues, social impact, and member/staff satisfaction, to skillfully build on our strong capabilities as our next Director.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
This role is for a pragmatic leader with strong entrepreneurial skills to help Impact Hub Boston to create additional tangible impact for our local communities while growing revenues and profitability. You will be in charge of executing both long-term strategy and day-to-day management and operation of Impact Hub Boston.
ABOUT IMPACT HUB BOSTON
Impact Hub Boston is a community and place that pursues a more just and sustainable world where business and profit are used in service of people and planet. We inspire, connect, and enable people and organizations to fuel entrepreneurial action.
Everyone has ideas to make the world a better place; we turn ideas into action and intention into impact. We provide access to a supportive community with resources, connections, knowledge, talent, and investments. We create places and opportunities for purpose-driven people to connect and build solutions for a better world.
Impact Hub Boston is part of a global network of over 100 Impact Hubs across the globe, representing more than 50 countries and 17,000+ ‘change-maker’ members. Impact Hub Boston is currently housed within the Boston campus of CIC (a sister organization to Impact Hub Boston) with co-working space, private offices, and event space in the heart of downtown Boston.
GENERAL OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
This role has historically driven the work of making Impact Hub Boston the place where people engaged in social impact work come together to learn from, connect to, and gain inspiration from each other. This role has supported the entire Impact Hub Boston community, working within the larger framework of the global Impact Hub network (through connecting with other individual sites, the North America regional cluster, and with the global network).
The successful applicant for this role brings with them the passion, capabilities, and track record needed to expand Impact Hub Boston’s impact in a new direction, building upon the unique strengths and attributes of this world-class community of innovators.
The Director will report to the Board of Impact Hub Boston, and currently has four direct full-time reports as well as managing contractor relationships that support finance, billing, and other temporary/periodic functions.
The general responsibilities of the Director fall into four themes:
Strategy & Leadership
• Inspire our team to deliver exceptional service, drive financial success within existing and a new line of business, and work with the Board of Directors to set and manage the strategic plan,
• Lead strategic initiatives, measuring performance and impact with an eye toward mitigating and managing potential business risks and vulnerabilities,
• Sustain a positive, inspiring, and culturally competent work culture, supporting growth and professional development of four full-time employees and 25 volunteers + contract staff,
• Build and maintain relationships with partners in delivering innovative, impactful solutions to important problems and support the work of social innovators in the Boston region,
• Represent Impact Hub Boston to all stakeholders, including at outside events and speaking engagements, enhancing our public recognition and visibility.
• Provide day-to-day team management, set and monitor team KPIs and goals, and manage hiring and on-boarding of new employees,
• Manage company-wide projects through all phases of development, improve existing processes and investigate improvement opportunities that use iterative planning, coordination, and automation,
• Oversee member relations, manage and extend our partnership with CIC and building management, and monitor vendor relationships,
• Ensure Impact Hub Boston is inviting to members of all backgrounds, oversee high-quality programming for all members, market to diverse audiences.
• Manage and grow existing P&L (member growth and event revenue), prove out a new revenue opportunity, and raise capital as needed to grow the organization,
• Make the case for additional investment in growth strategies to the Board of Directors and external investors, as appropriate,
• Determine how to reinvest profits wisely to maximize opportunities for sustained support of our mission over time, with the assistance of the board,
• Create and track annual budgets, regularly and transparently reporting to the board and staff, and analyze monthly cash flow/spending reports,
• Develop a sales plan and execute marketing campaigns to continue building our local brand.
• Increase members’ impact through various means, including telling our members’ stories, developing strategic partnerships, and supporting marketing, networking and sales opportunities; establish an impact advisory board,
• Strengthen our engagement with important social issues in Greater Boston,
• Set and measure inclusion as an important staff goal,
• Report annually on our impact, by global Impact Hub survey data and B Lab Impact Assessment metrics, and report quarterly to our board.
• Passion for our mission to inspire, connect, and enable people and organizations to fuel entrepreneurial action for a better world,
• 7+ years of work experience; 4+ years of experience in a senior role and management position with 3+ direct reports,
• A thorough understanding of financial management and management principles and techniques, including 2+ years managing a P&L demonstrating significant growth, and a record of success in managing budgets,
• Proven experience with business scaling; enthusiasm for strategic planning, growth, and expansion, and demonstrated facility with entrepreneurial thinking in a complex environment,
• Knowledgeable and passionate about Boston’s (or of a comparable urban area’s) diverse communities and neighborhoods, and the local challenges and issues that face those communities.
• Has an unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and a strong affinity with and dedication to our mission and values of community, inclusivity, justice, authenticity, and courage,
• Believes in team and community as sources of strength; can coach and develop staff, nurture a strong community, and engender deep belief in a shared vision,
• Wants to build a business that is a force for good, and is excited about enriching how we operate: with our governance, staff, environmental impact, and our impact on our customers and community,
• Inspires others to enact their vision of a more just and sustainable world, using business and profit in service of people and the planet,
• Brings knowledge and experience of the social enterprise sector and a high level understanding of sector trends and opportunities,
• Is invigorated by the ability and opportunity to innovate, comfortable with ambiguity and can move forward in the midst of changing circumstances, rally various stakeholders in supporting Impact Hub efforts and oversee effective execution,
• Has a strong appetite for networking, relationship building, and public speaking,
• Wants to grow the organization (and its impact), and grow with the organization, for the next 5+ years.
COMPENSATION AND TIME EXPECTATIONS
This is a full-time salaried position with some material flexible hours around evening and occasional weekend work. Compensation of $120k, plus 100% of the cost of a premium healthcare and dental package, long and short-term disability, life insurance, 401k with partial match up to 5%, and three weeks vacation from the start (more with seniority).
ATTRACTIONS OF WORKING AT IMPACT HUB BOSTON
• The opportunity to lead in the development of new approaches to solving problems that matter.
• What does our staff love most about working here? Their colleagues!
• The 300+ members at Impact Hub Boston are sharp, diverse, and motivated to create a better future for Boston, the US, and the world, and take part in a wide range of industries in a dynamic environment of constant learning.
• Highly varied, entrepreneurial work that requires inspired vision: each day brings opportunities to bring creative solutions for a better business and positive impact.
• Impact Hub Boston is centrally located to the Blue, Green, Orange, Red, and Silver MBTA lines, as well as major highways and both train stations.
• Fantastic additional benefits such as unlimited access to a well-stocked kitchen (ask us about our tea wall), monthly massage at no cost, an onsite wellness program, flexible working space, and a host of discounts towards local business and well-being memberships.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Impact Hub Boston is an equal opportunity employer and places a high value on workforce diversity. We strongly encourage applications from current residents of greater Boston, women, people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, individuals with disabilities, and veterans. Impact Hub policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.