About the Role
An engineering role at Cloudflare provides an opportunity address some big challenges, at scale. We believe that with our talented team, we can solve some of the biggest security, reliability and performance problems facing the Internet. Just how big?
- We have in excess of 15 Terabits of network transit capacity
- We operate 153 Points-of-presence around the world
- We serve more traffic than Twitter, Amazon, Apple, Instagram, Bing, & Wikipedia combined
- Anytime we push code, it immediately affects over 200 million internet users
- Every day, up to 20,000 new customers sign-up for Cloudflare service
- Every week, the average Internet user touches us more than 500 times
We are looking for talented Systems Reliability Engineers to build and operate the platform which makes Cloudflare customers place their trust in us. Our SREs come from a variety of technical backgrounds and have built up their knowledge working in different environments. But the common factors across all of our reliability-focused engineers include a passion for automation, scalability, and operational excellence. Our SRE teams monitor our network in a “follow the sun” approach with offices in Singapore, London, and San Francisco.
We are still a small team, well-funded, growing quickly and focused on building an extraordinary company. This is a superb opportunity to join a high-performing team and scale our high-growth network as Cloudflare’s business grows. You will build tools to constantly improve availability, performance, uptime and response times. You will nurture a passion for an “automate everything” approach that makes systems failure-resistant and ready-to-scale.
Cloudflare SREs work in one of these 4 teams:
- Core Operations
- Edge Operations
- Core Platform
- Edge Platform
The Operations teams focus on the immediate state and functionality of the Cloudflare platform around the world, leveraging an array of monitoring, alerting and diagnostics tools. The Platform teams focus on developing and enhancing the Cloudflare platform and its capabilities. The Platform and Operations team are both “devops” teams, responsible for reliability engineering across a wide portfolio of applications and services, leveraging developer and operator patterns. Many of our SREs have had the opportunity to work at multiple offices on interim and long-term project assignments. The ideal SRE candidate has a passionate curiosity about how the Internet fundamentally works and has a strong knowledge of DNS, Linux and TLS along with strong coding ability in Bash, Python or Go. We prefer to hire very experienced candidates; however raw skill trumps experience and we welcome strong junior applicants.
- Linux systems administration experience
- 3 years of relevant Site Reliability Engineering experience
- Intermediate level software development skills in Python, Go or SQL
- Strong skills in network services, including DNS, TLS/SSL and HTTP
- Network fundamentals DHCP, ARP, subnetting, routing, firewalls, IPv6
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- 5 years of relevant work experience
- Experience with the Linux kernel and Linux software packaging
- Performance analysis and debugging with tools like perf, sar, strace, dtrace
- Configuration management systems such as Saltstack, Chef, Puppet or Ansible
- Load balancing and reverse proxies such as Nginx, Varnish, HAProxy, Apache
- SQL databases (Postgres or MySQL)
- Time series databases (OpenTSDB, Graphite, Prometheus, Grafana)
- Key/Value stores (Redis, KyotoTycoon, Cassandra, LevelDB)
- Internetworking and BGP
- Experience with network programming in C, C++ or Go
- Experience with continuous / rapid release engineering
- Strong tooling and automations development experience
- Experience working in a 24/7/365 service environment
- High-bandwidth transit Internetworking and routing experience
Some tools that we use
- Mesos / Marathon
Cloudflare is the simplest way to make websites faster, safer and smarter. Millions of websites have signed up for our service, including large enterprises, major consumer destinations, and government agencies. With offices in San Francisco and London, Cloudflare operates a highly-available global network that has security measures built into every layer and regularly clocks in lightning-fast speeds.
We're on a mission to build a better web - and we need smart, talented people to join our team. Our team works on the forefront of leading technologies including nginx, Go and Lua programming languages. We're a strong supporter of the open source community and regularly share our technology learnings at https://blog.cloudflare.com.
Want to learn more about Cloudflare? Visit Cloudflare's website.
A modern woman's destination for how to live a stylish, well-rounded life