About the Role
An engineering role at Cloudflare provides an opportunity address some big challenges, at scale. We believe that with our talented team, we can solve some of the biggest security, reliability and performance problems facing the Internet. Just how big?
- We have in excess of 15 Terabits of network transit capacit
- We operate 153 Points-of-presence around the world
- We serve more traffic than Twitter, Amazon, Apple, Instagram, Bing, & Wikipedia combined
- Anytime we push code, it immediately affects over 200 million internet users
- Every day, up to 20,000 new customers sign-up for Cloudflare service
- Every week, the average Internet user touches us more than 500 times
We are looking for talented Systems Reliability Engineers to build and operate the platform which makes Cloudflare customers place their trust in us. Our SREs come from a variety of technical backgrounds and have built up their knowledge working in different environments. But the common factors across all of our reliability-focused engineers include a passion for automation, scalability, and operational excellence. Our SRE teams monitor our network in a “follow the sun” approach with offices in Singapore, London, and San Francisco.
We are still a small team, well-funded, growing quickly and focused on building an extraordinary company. This is a superb opportunity to join a high-performing team and scale our high-growth network as Cloudflare’s business grows. You will build tools to constantly improve availability, performance, uptime and response times. You will nurture a passion for an “automate everything” approach that makes systems failure-resistant and ready-to-scale.
Cloudflare SREs work in one of these 4 teams:
- Core Operations
- Edge Operations
- Core Platform
- Edge Platform
The Operations teams focus on the immediate state and functionality of the Cloudflare platform around the world, leveraging an array of monitoring, alerting and diagnostics tools. The Platform teams focus on developing and enhancing the Cloudflare platform and its capabilities. The Platform and Operations team are both “devops” teams, responsible for reliability engineering across a wide portfolio of applications and services, leveraging developer and operator patterns. Many of our SREs have had the opportunity to work at multiple offices on interim and long-term project assignments. The ideal SRE candidate has a passionate curiosity about how the Internet fundamentally works and has a strong knowledge of DNS, Linux and TLS along with strong coding ability in Bash, Python or Go. We prefer to hire very experienced candidates; however raw skill trumps experience and we welcome strong junior applicants.
- Linux systems administration experience
- 3 years of relevant Site Reliability Engineering experience
- Intermediate level software development skills in Python, Go or SQL
- Strong skills in network services, including DNS, TLS/SSL and HTTP
- Network fundamentals DHCP, ARP, subnetting, routing, firewalls, IPv6
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- 5 years of relevant work experience
- Experience with the Linux kernel and Linux software packaging
- Performance analysis and debugging with tools like perf, sar, strace, dtrace
- Configuration management systems such as Saltstack, Chef, Puppet or Ansible
- Load balancing and reverse proxies such as Nginx, Varnish, HAProxy, Apache
- SQL databases (Postgres or MySQL)
- Time series databases (OpenTSDB, Graphite, Prometheus, Grafana)
- Key/Value stores (Redis, KyotoTycoon, Cassandra, LevelDB)
- Internetworking and BGP
- Experience with network programming in C, C++ or Go
- Experience with continuous / rapid release engineering
- Strong tooling and automations development experience
- Experience working in a 24/7/365 service environment
- High-bandwidth transit Internetworking and routing experience
Some tools that we use
- Mesos / Marathon
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.
Cloudflare is the simplest way to make websites faster, safer and smarter. Millions of websites have signed up for our service, including large enterprises, major consumer destinations, and government agencies. With offices in San Francisco and London, Cloudflare operates a highly-available global network that has security measures built into every layer and regularly clocks in lightning-fast speeds.
We're on a mission to build a better web - and we need smart, talented people to join our team. Our team works on the forefront of leading technologies including nginx, Go and Lua programming languages. We're a strong supporter of the open source community and regularly share our technology learnings at https://blog.cloudflare.com.
Want to learn more about Cloudflare? Visit Cloudflare's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.