About the department
Cloudflare’s Technical Operations team is responsible for ensuring the reliability, observability, and resilience of the worldwide platform. Data Storage is a critical component of our platform functionality, which encompasses traditional relational databases (primarily PostgreSQL), Key-Value stores like Redis and (our very own) Quicksilver, and distributed filesystem technologies. As we grow and scale, our portfolio of data storage options will need to grow with us.
What you'll do
We’re looking to establish a team of engineers who will be dedicated to databases and storage at Cloudflare. This team will encompass the full lifecycle of provisioning, monitoring, tuning, and scaling storage solutions. This team will work closely with both SRE and Engineering to provide a highly-automated, highly available and extremely resilient data platform that scales with us.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Experience as a professional programmer with operational ownership of the software you’ve written.
- Direct experience shipping, supporting, and managing distributed systems with demanding consumers.
- Expertise in operating/administering a traditional relational database system, preferably PostgreSQL
- Experience writing, debugging, and tuning SQL.
- You’re motivated to see others succeed by using your work
- Experience designing multi-tenant database solutions, capacity planning, designing for failover, fault-tolerance, and disaster recovery.
- Experience managing distributed storage systems such as Ceph and HDFS.
- Experience developing software in Go, Python or C/C++
- Formal computer science background (BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent)
- Experience with alerting and monitoring tools such as Prometheus, Grafana, and Kibana
- Experience with configuration management software, preferably Salt.
- Interest in newer database technologies like CockroachDB
- Experience with stream processing technologies
- Experience with non-relational data stores such as time-series databases (ex. OpenTSDB), key-value stores (ex. Redis), columnar databases (ex. ClickHouse), and full text search engines (ex. ElasticSearch)
- Experience with data warehousing tools and patterns
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.
Cloudflare is the simplest way to make websites faster, safer and smarter. Millions of websites have signed up for our service, including large enterprises, major consumer destinations, and government agencies. With offices in San Francisco and London, Cloudflare operates a highly-available global network that has security measures built into every layer and regularly clocks in lightning-fast speeds.
We're on a mission to build a better web - and we need smart, talented people to join our team. Our team works on the forefront of leading technologies including nginx, Go and Lua programming languages. We're a strong supporter of the open source community and regularly share our technology learnings at https://blog.cloudflare.com.
Want to learn more about Cloudflare? Visit Cloudflare's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.