About the department
Cloudflare is looking to grow our Business Intelligence team responsible for enabling various product and business teams such as Marketing, Sales, Finance, Customer Support, Infrastructure and Product Development teams with data and analytics. Our team currently has Data Engineers, Data Analysts, and Data Scientists and we are looking to add a lead data engineer in Lisbon, Portugal to scale our data platform and models. This will be the first data engineering hire in our Lisbon office, and will be responsible for actively mentoring a cross-functional data team in that office. This is a player/coach position, and you will be responsible for significant independent engineering work.
What you'll do
- Work on the end-to-end data pipeline, from data collection/ingestion all the way to analytics and enabling modeling systems
- Partner and align with data engineers, data analysts, data scientists, business leaders, stakeholders, product managers and internal teams to enable data driven solutions to key business problems
- Understand data landscape i.e tooling, tech stack, source systems etc. and work closely with the data engineering team to improve the data collection and quality
- Build and maintain data systems following best practices in software engineering to support scale, reliability and experimentation
- Build rich data sets that drive innovation in data driven insights at scale within the company
- Strong communication skills to communicate between engineering, data science, and product management teams
- Use storytelling skills to communicate insights in a crisp and concise manner
- Active role in hiring, growing, and mentoring the nascent data team in Lisbon
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- M.S or Ph.D in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or other quantitative fields
- Strong experience in scientific computing using Python, R, or Scala
- Experience with Spark, SQL, Tableau, Google Analytics, Hive and BigQuery (or any other Big data/Cloud equivalent) etc.
- Experience working with and processing structured, unstructured, and semi-structured data
- Experience building data systems at scale
- 5+ years of engineering experience with proven industry experience in big data engineering
- 2+ years experience with a fast-growing SaaS business based company is preferred
- Experience building big data systems required, experience building Machine Learning pipelines is a strong plus
- Strong communication and presentation skills catered to different audiences within the company
- Strong empathy and ability to guide junior and mid-level engineers and analysts
- Full stack software development experience a strong plus
- Experience in fast prototyping and establishing engineering best practices is preferred
- Experience with container based deployments such as Docker & Kubernetes
- Experience in building RESTful and microservices applications
- Experience in building data systems for large scale clickstream and request data a plus
Cloudflare is the simplest way to make websites faster, safer and smarter. Millions of websites have signed up for our service, including large enterprises, major consumer destinations, and government agencies. With offices in San Francisco and London, Cloudflare operates a highly-available global network that has security measures built into every layer and regularly clocks in lightning-fast speeds.
We're on a mission to build a better web - and we need smart, talented people to join our team. Our team works on the forefront of leading technologies including nginx, Go and Lua programming languages. We're a strong supporter of the open source community and regularly share our technology learnings at https://blog.cloudflare.com.
Want to learn more about Cloudflare? Visit Cloudflare's website.
A monthly box of dog goodies