What you'll do
You will work as part of the Emerging Technology and Incubation team in Lisbon building Cloudflare Gateway. Gateway provides security to business teams on the Internet without compromising performance. The team is building an edge proxy/firewall that secures internet traffic to/from an end-users device.
You will work predominantly in Rust to build and maintain a forward HTTP proxy that can :
- Handle connection and request orchestration
- Manage and execute filter-based firewall rules (wirefilter link)
- Perform streaming data loss prevention (DLP)
- Anti-Virus support
- Integrate with Clouflare Workers
You’ll use your prior experience of launching and operating global scale services to ensure that all these systems meet high operational standards. This will involve working on the technical design of systems to improve predictability and resilience, and working with other engineers to improve development processes, operational understanding and monitoring and alerting systems.
- Your work will focus on building robust, secure and high performance distributed systems.
- We are a small engineering team operating at a massive scale, so what you do will have a huge influence.
- We work in agile teams, so you will be supported by colleagues, and collaborate with other teams around the company.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience (We do not require you to have all of these)
- Understanding of basics of programming language theory (state machines, NFA/DFA, regular languages, compiler optimizations and code generation)
- Good knowledge of level 7 protocols (HTTP(S), HTTP/2, WebSocket, WebRTC)
- Good knowledge of level 4 protocols (TCP/UDP)
- Engineering software systems for reliability
- Building and operating an enterprise scale distributed system
- Experience with continuous / rapid release engineering
- Strong experience of tooling and process automation
- How to talk about your work to technical and non-technical audience
- Good unix knowledge
- Understanding of performance analysis and debugging (with tools like perf, sar, strace)
- Understanding of security issues and responsibilities
- Building high volume logging and analytics pipelines (we use Kafka and Clickhouse)
- Designing and building APIs
Cloudflare is the simplest way to make websites faster, safer and smarter. Millions of websites have signed up for our service, including large enterprises, major consumer destinations, and government agencies. With offices in San Francisco and London, Cloudflare operates a highly-available global network that has security measures built into every layer and regularly clocks in lightning-fast speeds.
We're on a mission to build a better web - and we need smart, talented people to join our team. Our team works on the forefront of leading technologies including nginx, Go and Lua programming languages. We're a strong supporter of the open source community and regularly share our technology learnings at https://blog.cloudflare.com.
Want to learn more about Cloudflare? Visit Cloudflare's website.
A modern woman's destination for how to live a stylish, well-rounded life