What you'll do
You will work as part of the Firewall engineering team in London building, running and improving the operational resilience of the system which protects our customers from an average of 44 billion cyber threats per day.
You will work using Go, Rust, Lua, Kafka, ClickHouse and PostgreSQL to build and run:
- APIs to allow customers to configure firewall protections for their zone
- the engine that applies these protections and runs on our edge platform around the world
- our analytics pipeline which is the data source for building machine learning models, and which shows customers the attacks they’re being protected against
You’ll use your prior experience of launching and operating global scale services to ensure that all these systems meet high operational standards. This will involve working on the technical design of systems to improve predictability and resilience, and working with other engineers to improve development processes, operational understanding and monitoring and alerting systems.
Your code will impact upwards of 2.8 billion people/month. Your work will focus on building robust, secure and high performance distributed systems. We are a small engineering team operating at massive scale, so what you do will have a huge influence.
We work in agile teams, so you will be supported by colleagues, and collaborate with other teams around the company.
Examples of desirable skills and experience:
We do not require you to have all of these!
- Building and operating an enterprise scale distributed system
- Engineering software systems for reliability
- Experience with continuous / rapid release engineering
- Strong experience of tooling and process automation
- How to talk about your work to technical and non-technical audience
- Working as part of an agile software development team
- Understand how the internet works at a protocol level
- Good unix knowledge
- Understanding of performance analysis and debugging (with tools like perf, sar, strace)
- Understanding of security issues and responsibilities
- Building high volume logging and analytics pipelines (we use Kafka and Clickhouse)
- Designing and building APIs
As mentioned, we work with languages such as Lua, Go, Rust and Python. We are looking for engineers willing to learn and grow quickly in a fast paced environment. We also use: Nginx, Salt, PostgreSQL, Redis, Docker, Prometheus, Mesos / Marathon, Kubernetes.
A degree is not required for this position.
Cloudflare is the simplest way to make websites faster, safer and smarter. Millions of websites have signed up for our service, including large enterprises, major consumer destinations, and government agencies. With offices in San Francisco and London, Cloudflare operates a highly-available global network that has security measures built into every layer and regularly clocks in lightning-fast speeds.
We're on a mission to build a better web - and we need smart, talented people to join our team. Our team works on the forefront of leading technologies including nginx, Go and Lua programming languages. We're a strong supporter of the open source community and regularly share our technology learnings at https://blog.cloudflare.com.
Want to learn more about Cloudflare? Visit Cloudflare's website.
File hosting service