Engineering Manager, Network Operations
Cloudflare, Lisbon or London
Help us build a better Internet
What do Support Operations do?
The Support Operations Group is a high-impact, self-contained engineering team. We are responsible for building intelligent automation systems that allow our customers to get maximum value out of the Cloudflare product, whilst providing tooling that enhances business efficiency for our internal customer facing teams.
We work in an Extreme Programming environment with a heavy focus on short iterations, a sustainable pace and self-testing code. We are a small team meaning you will have the opportunity to make a substantial impact from day one.
What will you work on?
In this team you'll have the opportunity to work on a wide range of diverse greenfield projects; like building backend systems to provide proactive recommendations for our customers, creating automated debugging tools for our customer support team and building data analytics tooling that allows our business teams to understand our customer base better. In this role, you'll be able to learn, research and implement state-of-the-art technologies in fields like Search Based Software Engineering and Operational Research. Given the diverse nature of the Cloudflare product and the wide technical focus of the team, you will have an opportunity to build upon multiple different technologies.
- Excel at planning, creating diverse, global teams and overseeing execution to meet commitments and deliver with predictability
- Demonstrate a track record of managing a team including hiring, on-boarding, and professional development. You inspire your team to reach higher. You’re as good at explaining “why” as you are “how”
- Have experience implementing tools, process, internal instrumentation, methodologies and resolving blockages
- Have Agile and extreme software development experience
- Be comfortable managing teams/projects with tight deadlines and short release cycles
- Create and maintain technical and process documentation
- Manage multiple projects and workstreams, multiple bodies of work
- A Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or an engineering/quantitative discipline
- 3-7 years experience managing engineering teams
- Experience building tools, automations and managing operations for Support teams
- Knowledge of at least one object-oriented or functional programming language, especially Python, Go or Haskell
- An understanding of the importance of self-testing software
- Curiosity and a passion for learning
- It is advantageous, but not required, to have exposure to CI build systems, Docker or development in UNIX environments
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.
Cloudflare is the simplest way to make websites faster, safer and smarter. Millions of websites have signed up for our service, including large enterprises, major consumer destinations, and government agencies. With offices in San Francisco and London, Cloudflare operates a highly-available global network that has security measures built into every layer and regularly clocks in lightning-fast speeds.
We're on a mission to build a better web - and we need smart, talented people to join our team. Our team works on the forefront of leading technologies including nginx, Go and Lua programming languages. We're a strong supporter of the open source community and regularly share our technology learnings at https://blog.cloudflare.com.
Want to learn more about Cloudflare? Visit Cloudflare's website.
Come join the Gemini team and help us build the future of money!