Director, Global Physical Security & Safety
Cloudflare, San Francisco, CA
Help us build a better Internet
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Department
The Security Team at Cloudflare embraces the uniquely challenging responsibility of helping secure both Cloudflare and our customers while also supporting product innovation and enabling business growth.
About the Role
We are not looking for a “been there, done that” approach to physical security. We are looking for a strategic leader excited about solving physical security and safety challenges with next-generation technology that scales with our accelerating corporate and infrastructure growth globally.
- Infrastructure: Cloudflare’s global network represents not only our greatest physical asset as a company, but also operates as the nerve center of our products. It’s the place where our customers expect our biggest security commitment. You will assume primary responsibility for developing, then deploying physical security technology & operations across our global network of data center presences spanning more than 200 cities in over 100 countries.
- Corporate: Cloudflare is reenvisioning the Back to Better experience for our employees and visitors. You will assume primary responsibility for our corporate security technology, policies, incident response, and operations across 16 offices and counting.
- Product Innovation: Partner with Product and Engineering as our thought leader in developing & piloting physical security features & products. This is an unique opportunity to unify software innovation with physical security needs into cohesive go to market Cloudflare offerings.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- 10+ years of experience in Engineering, Security, and/or Data Center Operations
- 5+ years of experience in physical security, preferably with experience in data center and/or network security
- Experience building and leading globally distributed teams
- Experience building out programs globally in a technical environment and defining strategic long term roadmaps across teams and stakeholders
- Equally adept at strategy formulation and tactical execution
- Solid understanding of integrating and deploying systems at scale
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage a large number of projects simultaneously
- Exceptional empathy and integrity. Demonstrated success in earning trust across a broad variety of stakeholders and making principled decisions
- Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions
- Experience in or desire to work with multiple time zones and multiple cross functional teams, including travel as needed
- Strong documentation, communication, and program management skills
- Experience supporting routine regulatory and compliance audit initiatives
- Experience leading incident command for a variety of emergency scenarios
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
22.214.171.124: We released 126.96.36.199 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.
Cloudflare is the simplest way to make websites faster, safer and smarter. Millions of websites have signed up for our service, including large enterprises, major consumer destinations, and government agencies. With offices in San Francisco and London, Cloudflare operates a highly-available global network that has security measures built into every layer and regularly clocks in lightning-fast speeds.
We're on a mission to build a better web - and we need smart, talented people to join our team. Our team works on the forefront of leading technologies including nginx, Go and Lua programming languages. We're a strong supporter of the open source community and regularly share our technology learnings at https://blog.cloudflare.com.
Want to learn more about Cloudflare? Visit Cloudflare's website.
Come join the Gemini team and help us build the future of money!