Director of Design and Research
Clover Health, San Francisco, CA
Clover is a Medicare Plan done differently.
Clover is reinventing healthcare by using technology to improve health outcomes for all.
The Clover Health Design and Research team covers a lot of surface area—we work on service experiences, digital products, and technical infrastructure systems for both internal and external users, including members, providers, internal insurance operations, and a number of 3rd party vendors. Our core purpose is to understand and advocate for our users' perspectives and needs. We craft holistic experiences that address our users' needs and goals.
We are looking for an experienced design leader who can inspire a vision of more equitable, human-centered healthcare systems and work with a talented team of designers, user researchers, engineers, and clinicians to bring that vision to fruition. In this role, you will report directly to the Chief Product Officer and will take on a mix of design and research leadership, strategic communications, internal evangelism, people management, mentorship, and creative direction.
As the Director of Design and Research, you will enable us to prioritize the most important work, uphold a high standard of quality, mentor the team, evangelize the value of design and research within the organization, and collaborate with other teams to deliver best-in-class solutions. You will understand the needs and values of executive stakeholders and provide strategic guidance, both up and down the chain of command, for designing useful and meaningful products and experiences for our users. You will propagate a strong design practice and help to define metrics for measuring design impact on product execution and quality. You will also provide mentorship, champion both craft and career development, as well as create the operational space and organizational cover to help designers focus on executing their best work. The Director of Design should also share our belief that the best teams are diverse, empathetic, and passionate about user problems as well as company goals.
As the Director of Design and Research, you will:
- Guide the team, both strategically and creatively. You will ensure the team is delivering high-quality experiences that align with business goals.
- Develop the people on the team. You will be accountable for making sure those on the team are growing and receiving needed mentorship.
- Grow the team. You will be accountable for recruiting, hiring, and aggressively expanding the already high-functioning team of designers and researchers over the next few years.
- Champion design and user research across the company. Acting as a design visionary and internal evangelist, you will advocate for Design Thinking and human-centered practices throughout the company.
- Champion diversity and inclusion. Clover is proud of its diversity; you will work to promote and build on current practices and values.
You will love this job if:
- You believe that a fragmented, improperly incentivized healthcare system is ineffectual and dangerous, and you're passionate about tackling it.
- You have a genuine passion for thinking critically about how design and technology can be utilized to improve others' quality of life.
- You are deeply human-centered and creative, which is how you approach and shape the products and experiences you create, how you interact with others, and the types of problems you like to solve.
- You have a natural intellectual curiosity that drives you to find out how things work and if they can work better.
- You are an excellent communicator who can make, communicate, and represent design decisions with non-designers.
- You are willing and able to help your teammates grow by demonstrating best practices, providing (and receiving) respectful and constructive feedback, and sharing your unique insights with everyone.
- You are passionate about growing people and teams. Helping to set your team and peers up for success is important to you and you love coming up with ways to best utilize resources and time.
- You are positive and motivated, especially in the face of adversity.
- You have experience working on complex systems and applications.
- You have worked within both fast-paced, startup and medium/large environments, and have opinions around how to best scale a design team through different stages of growth.
- You have successfully partnered with marketing and brand design teams.
You should get in touch if:
- You have experience leading and/or managing successful design teams.
- You have experience working on complex systems and applications.
- You have deep, applied UX and UI experience, and some research experience.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are an E-Verify company.
About Clover: We are reinventing health insurance by combining the power of data with human empathy to keep our members healthier. We believe the healthcare system is broken, so we've created custom software and analytics to empower our clinical staff to intervene and provide personalized care to the people who need it most.
We always put our members first, and our success as a team is measured by the quality of life of the people we serve. Those who work at Clover are passionate and mission-driven individuals with diverse areas of expertise, working together to solve the most complicated problem in the world: healthcare.
From Clover’s inception, Diversity & Inclusion have always been key to our success. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and our employees are people with different strengths, experiences and backgrounds, who share a passion for improving people's lives. Diversity not only includes race and gender identity, but also age, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, religion and many other parts of one’s identity. All of our employee’s points of view are key to our success, and inclusion is everyone's responsibility.
Clover Health welcomes qualified candidates with disabilities and will provide accommodations during the interview process as needed. If you require accommodations, please email [email protected] with the details of your requested accommodation. Requests are reviewed by a member of the recruiting team. Requests will have no bearing on the candidate evaluation process or hiring decisions.
About Clover Health
Clover Health is a data driven health insurance startup driving to improve the overall state of healthcare in America. We are hiring software engineers, data scientists, designers and product folks who can help us understand our members’ wellness and steer them clear of any health risks down the road. Unlike other health insurance companies also embracing preventive health, Clover’s Medicare is built on technology from the ground-up. Integrating our systems with doctors, clinicians, and nurse practitioners, Clover’s data team helps healthcare professionals in the field intervene directly into patients’ wellness to help them avoid acute health episodes. If you’re a passionate person and interested in changing healthcare for the better, then Clover may just be the place for you.
Want to learn more about Clover Health? Visit Clover Health's website.
Jobs You May Like
Product Manager, Shared Experiences
Gusto, San Francisco
Product Manager, SmartBuildings
Senior Product Manager, API
LiveRamp, San Francisco, CA
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Optimus Ride, Boston, MA
Product Owner Strategy (m/f/d)
mytaxi!, Hamburg or Berlin
Product Designer, Integrations
SurveyMonkey, San Mateo