Uncubed

Design Intern

Codecademy, New York

An online interactive platform that offers free coding classes


Codecademy is a NYC based startup that aims to equip people with employable digital skills by teaching them how to code. We are looking to hire a product designer to create functional, elegant and human-centered design solutions that enhance the learning experience for people all over the world.

As a design intern at Codecademy, 60% of your time will be spent working with an engineering intern where together you’ll explore new ways of teaching. You’ll have three months to conduct research, prototype, and ship a solution. The remaining 40% of your time will be spent paired with a Senior Product designer, where you’ll support them on core product work that is currently in flight.

The combination of working independently and supporting a team will give you invaluable experience in the full product development process here at Codecademy. From brainstorming entirely new features to designing usable flows and beautiful interfaces, you'll exercise your full range of product, interaction, and visual design skills on a daily basis.

Your work will empower millions of people worldwide to learn how to code and create something. Together, we can redesign education and create the best online learning experience.

Roles & Responsibilities:

  • Work collaboratively with other designers, engineers, and product managers on multiple interrelated projects in a fast-paced environment.
  • Evaluate data from multiple sources, synthesize it, and develop design strategies according to best UX practices.
  • Take broad, conceptual ideas and turn them into congruent scenarios, usable flows, and simple, intuitive interfaces.
  • Must be a motivated self-starter capable of personally managing projects.
  • Document and reflect on your process in Medium articles.

Requirements:

  • Excellent verbal communication skills and ability to soundly discuss design decisions.
  • Strong visual communication skills with a keen eye for typography, layout, and color.
  • Portfolio that showcases a record of delivering inventive solutions for demanding and complex design problems.
  • Experience conducting user testing.
  • Detail-oriented, self-motivated with a passion for pixel perfection, consistency, organization, usability, and discoverability.
  • Proficiency with the Sketch, Adobe Suite, and prototyping tools.
  • Understanding of how a design would be implemented in code (HTML, CSS, JavaScript).


We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.

About Codecademy

Codecademy is a team of hackers working hard to build a better way for anyone to teach, and learn, how to code. We're determined to succeed in realizing our mission to turn a world of tech consumers into one of empowered builders. We're backed by some great people, including: Naspers, Union Square Ventures, O'Reilly, SV Angel, Thrive Capital, Index Ventures, CrunchFund, Collaborative Fund, Founder Collective, Yuri Milner, Vivi Nevo, Richard Branson, and several others.

Want to learn more about Codecademy? Visit https://www.codecademy.com/