Backend Engineer - DevX (Application Infrastructure)
Collective Health, San Francisco
Leading the healthcare evolution
At Collective Health, we're modernizing employer-sponsored health insurance and building the first healthcare solution that people actually look forward to interacting with.
Our applications are predominantly containerized Java micro-services deployed in AWS cloud environments. And so we have a Java “base app”, the foundation of all of our micro-service applications. This base app ensures that all of our apps can share a common approach to security, monitoring, database access, deployment which means (1) application engineers can focus on application solutions, and (2) when we introduce new foundation technologies in the base app, we can implement them once and use them everywhere.
We’re looking for a lead Java engineer for our base app. You will solve the gnarliest problems for scaling, security, reliability, performance, deployment, and you will directly power our entire Engineering team. You will work in our small but mighty (currently 5 person) “DevX”, or Developer Experience, team. And you will enable our 150+ person Development organization to deliver solutions that revolutionize the way that Americans understand, navigate, and receive healthcare.
If you love gnarly Java technology problems, if you dig the total admiration of thankful colleagues, if you get a kick out of solving a problem once and using the solution thousands of times, if you think American healthcare could make use of modern technology, we would love to talk to you!
What you’ll do:
- Work with Engineers, including specialist Site Reliability Engineers, to set the roadmap for investments in our Java base app, driving scalability, resiliency, deployability, maintainability, security, observability.
- Research, prototype, and select viable technical solutions: open source, 3rd party, and home-grown.
- Implement and test your technical solutions as enhancements to the Java base app.
- Rollout solutions to the rest of the Engineering team. We’ll ensure you’re helped in the rollout and education process!
- Be a steward of code quality and a mentor and teacher to others. Support engineers as they take advantage of the new capabilities that you’ve enabled.
- This role is based in our San Francisco office and will report to our DevX Engineering Manager.
Desired expertise and experience:
- Strong background as a Java engineer.
- Track record of developing well-tested software that relies on robots and continuous integration, not humans, to validate builds.
- Experience with Dropwizard, Spring, Guice, and Hibernate, or a similar list with your own favorites substituted in. Either way, you can explain why you prefer your list over alternatives.
- You collaborate and communicate well with other engineers.
- You enjoy mentoring and teaching others.
- You are excited about diving into complex technical domains, including open-source debugging and contribution.
- Prior experience working in high security environments e.g. healthcare systems or finance systems, is a plus.
- Previous startup experience is a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About Collective Health
While medical technology continues to take giant steps forward, somehow the systems driving health coverage are still stuck in the past. The experience we have today is confusing. It’s painful. And we all deserve better. Collective Health was founded on the belief that better is possible. Driven by our mission to make understanding, navigating, and paying for care effortless, we’ve evolved the way health benefits work. More than 155 million Americans count on an employer for coverage. That's why, with the technology to create a more intelligent solution and the compassion to know that every person matters, we deliver a connected healthcare experience for companies who want the best for their employees.