Backend Engineer - Application Infrastructure (Java)
Collective Health, San Francisco
Leading the healthcare evolution
At Collective Health, we're modernizing employer-sponsored health insurance and building the first healthcare solution that people actually look forward to interacting with. We believe that with a modern software stack, a small, dedicated team can replace entrenched 5000-person incumbents.
As the lead engineer for our Java base app, you’ll indirectly power most of the company’s backend infrastructure, ensuring members and our staff have access to the information that’s critical to making better healthcare decisions. Your decisions will help us build systems with the power to scale to power exponential growth in members served, without losing our ability to innovate.
As an engineering team, we believe good code is easy to read and understand. We expect all of our engineers to continually teach as well as learn. Our company as a whole places a high priority on the overall member experience, including customer support (you shouldn't have to wait on hold ever), legal language (you shouldn't have to be a lawyer to read your health plan), and intuitive web design. We care deeply about diversity and inclusion and have worked to build a diverse team where everyone feels respected and supported.
What you’ll do:
- Design, support, and direct the evolution of a scalable and resilient Java application platform used throughout the enterprise to be able to handle diverse use-cases powering exponential member growth with confidence
- Create and drive new initiatives in all the languages used at Collective Health, leveraging your architectural skills even when it’s not a language you use every day
- Act as a steward of code quality and a mentor and teacher to others. Empower both quotidian and game-changing innovation through both well-engineered, flexible tools and personal support.
- Design data models and workflows to store and use complex and highly configurable healthcare data
If you are looking for a challenge and most or all of the following items apply to you, please apply!
- You collaborate and communicate well with engineers and product managers
- You are excited about diving into complex technical domains, including open-source debugging and contribution
- You enjoy mentoring and teaching others
- You have 7+ years of software engineering work experience
- You have a strong background in Java, and a solid grasp of at least one other language
- You know know either Dropwizard, Spring, Guice, and Hibernate, or a similar list with your own favorites substituted in. Either way, you can explain why you prefer your list over alternatives.
- You have a track record of developing well-tested software that relies on robots and continuous integration, not humans, to validate builds
- Prior experience working in high security environments—e.g., payments—is a plus
- Previous startup experience is a plus
- Past teaching, training, or roles with descriptions like “architecture” or “developer experience advocacy” are ideal.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About Collective Health
While medical technology continues to take giant steps forward, somehow the systems driving health coverage are still stuck in the past. The experience we have today is confusing. It’s painful. And we all deserve better. Collective Health was founded on the belief that better is possible. Driven by our mission to make understanding, navigating, and paying for care effortless, we’ve evolved the way health benefits work. More than 155 million Americans count on an employer for coverage. That's why, with the technology to create a more intelligent solution and the compassion to know that every person matters, we deliver a connected healthcare experience for companies who want the best for their employees.
Want to learn more about Collective Health? Visit Collective Health's website.
Jobs You May Like
Partner Program Architect (EX)
Qualtrics, Seattle, WA
Computer Vision Engineer
Second Spectrum, Morges, Switzerland
Enigma, New York, NY
Senior Exchange Engineer
TripleLift, New York
Software Engineer, New Grad
Essential Products, Palo Alto, CA
Astranis, San Francisco, CA