Staff Technologist. Office of the CTO [Remote - USA/UK]
Confluent, Mountain View, California
Real-Time Data at Massive Scale
What you’ll do day-to-day?
- Analyze a new concept or methodology (e.g., what a data mesh is), prepare a write up, convert that into a Kafka Summit talk and a blog post on the subject. Recommend to the product organization how this trend might benefit our products, should it take off. Later prototype a self-service data mesh application that could be used in a company. Showcase this on developer.confluent.io.
- Work with the Integration Architecture team on a serverless stream processing prototype. Build the prototype and test it under load. Improve the underlying serverless connector where appropriate. Help the Developer Advocate team shape a conference talk around serverless stream processing. Prepare and potentially record an explainer video.
- Track and analyze competitive threats and prepare a monthly report to the company. Prepare a deep-dive analysis for one particular threat and present it to senior management.
- Design and author a page for developer.confluent.io on event modeling providing practical advice on the contents of an event, practices for evolving event schemas, topic topologies, and handling identity, deletion, and other compounding factors. Research the work through the community and Confluent’s Professional Services team.
- Collaborate with the engineering team on a blog series we want them to publish on distributed systems principles in the wild. Your role is to steer the content engineering creates, review, and if you wish, contribute directly to the series.
The skills you’ll need to do well
- Strategy/Analysis: Extract the important concepts and details from a complex technical domain, summarize and articulate clearly and succinctly. Know when to dig deep.
- Influence: Deal confidently with Confluent’s C-level as well as C-level customers should the need arise. Influence outcomes outside of the team.
- Content: Create novel content that reframes existing concepts in interesting ways.
- Writing: Excellent written style. Can clearly explain complex concepts.
- Speaking: Confident speaking style, spanning both technical and conceptual content.
- Autonomy: Delivers high-quality tasks with minimal supervision. Manages expectations and deadlines.
- Programming: Proven programmer.
- Industry Experience: Experienced software engineer and well versed on software architecture. Can advise on the practice of both of these to an advanced level.Broad understanding of the technology space in general, distributed systems, and business. Event streaming experience is considered a huge plus.
Our Story Founded by the team that built Apache Kafka®, Confluent builds a streaming platform that enables companies to easily access data as real-time streams Background Every byte of data has a story to tell, something of significance that will inform the next thing to be done. In a data-driven enterprise, how we move our data becomes nearly as important as the data itself. With greater speed and agility, data’s value increases exponentially. From its very early days, we have open-sourced Apache Kafka™ and have led it to impressive industry-wide adoption across several thousand companies. Now we are focusing on building a streaming platform to help other companies get easy access to enterprise data as real-time streams.
Want to learn more about Confluent? Visit Confluent's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.