Senior Learning Experience Designer
Contentful, San Francisco
Contentful: a developer-friendly, API first CMS
Contentful provides content infrastructure for digital teams to power websites, apps, and devices. Unlike a CMS, Contentful was built to integrate with the modern software stack. It offers a central hub for structured content, powerful management and delivery APIs, and a customizable web app that enables developers and content creators to ship their products faster. Companies including Spotify, Red Bull, WeWork, Lyft, and Urban Outfitters rely on Contentful to manage content as part of their modern web stack.
Contentful is growing rapidly, backed by $80 million in funding from VC firms including Benchmark and General Catalyst, and strategic investors including Sapphire Ventures (SAP) and Salesforce Ventures.
We’re a fun team of more than 200 people from 44 nations, with offices in Berlin and San Francisco. Join us!
ABOUT THE ROLE
Learning Services is a new team at Contentful charged with creating impactful, scalable learning experiences to help content authors, content architects, and software developers get the most out of the Contentful platform. We don’t do average. We’re out to reset the industry standard for helping customers to quickly create value while building on best practices that lead to long term success.
We’re looking to hire a multi-talented, entrepreneurial, learning ninja who has the chops to help us take this new team from ground zero to acknowledged industry leader in record time.
- You will draw on your user research skills to discover how Contentful users in each role do their jobs. What are their essential tasks, their daily challenges, their processes and workflows, their learning preferences? Which Contentful features will be most useful to them? What concepts do they need to understand, or misperceptions do they need to overcome, to successfully make the transition from CMSs to content infrastructure?
- You will use the contextual knowledge gained from your research to map out a learning experience for each role—a sequence of modular learning activities and tools that take a user from first product experience to expert practitioner, but that can also be used for just-in-time learning on a single topic.
- Using best practices and current thinking from learning science, UX design, marketing and technology, you will craft innovative learning components (ILT courses, e-learning, videos, documents, job aids, etc.) that are easy-to-consume, visually-compelling, and that take full advantage of the affordances of various media and delivery methodologies.
- You will design comprehension checks, assessment activities, and certification processes that accurately gauge learners’ ability to use Contentful software for real world tasks.
- You will collaborate effectively with the other Contentful teams that create customer-facing assets. You will use your strong communication and soft leadership skills to build alignment around concepts, approaches, terminology, and examples.
- You will serve as a thought leader and learning consultant to other teams within Contentful, helping us as a company increase efficiency and improve learning outcomes for customers, partners, and employees.
- You have a bachelor’s degree with 5+ years of experience in instructional design/learning experience design or 3 years plus a master's degree in a related field, or equivalent experience
- Your portfolio shows that you are an innovator with the ability to find creative solutions to complex problems.
- You have a multi-disciplinary background. In addition to traditional skill sets such as adult learning theory, instructional design, and learning evaluation, you also have expertise in fields such as user research, performance support, process design, change management, cognitive psychology, and UX design.
- You are comfortable with basic software development tools and concepts.
- You have experience with industry-standard learning development tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, Articulate 360 and Camtasia.
- You are a strong collaborator, capable of working closely with colleagues to achieve project objectives in a fast-paced environment.
- You have exemplary written and oral communication skills. You can write effective copy, instructional text, and audio/video scripts. You can tell a story with visuals as well as words.
- You have a proven record of meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment with aggressive schedules.
- Join an innovative, fast-growing tech company as we help drive the evolution of digital experiences to become ever-more ubiquitous and interactive
- Shape the future of Contentful: help us establish, scale, and improve our team's processes
- Travel to Berlin, Germany, at the heart of Europe, both for onboarding and for other visits to Contentful’s Berlin office
- Work in our beautiful downtown space close to Embarcadero Station, complete with a fully stocked kitchen
- Health, vision and dental insurance
- Commuter benefits to help you get to and from work
- An unlimited time off policy that rivals the best in Silicon Valley
- Pick and use the tools you feel comfortable with, both hardware and software
- A generous education budget to support your continued professional development, and extra days off to be spent on learning and development
- Relocation budget to support your move to San Francisco and assistance to help you settle down in your new city
- Plus, Contentful socks, oh yeah!
“Variety is the spice of life” — and a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer: all qualified applicants are considered for positions regardless of race, ethnic origin, gender, age, religion or belief, marital status, gender identification, sexual orientation, veteran status or disability. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We look forward to your application!
Contentful (https://www.contentful.com) is a content management developer platform that enables web and mobile developers to manage, integrate, and deliver digital content to any kind of device or service that can connect to an API - be it smart cars, VR, mobile, web, digital signage, or any new platform. We solve the complexities of content management for tens of thousands web and mobile developers, some independent and many working at enterprise customers that include Jack-in-the-box, Petsmart, Specialized, Fidelity Investments, and Urban Outfitters.