When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 6 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 6 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
At Deliveroo we’re striving to build London’s finest engineering organisation. As an organisation we continually evolve and improve our approach to engineering to make Deliveroo an industry defining food company and world-renowned technology organisation.
We are the go-to people for our product teams to consult in infrastructure optimisations for our time-critical live services. The health of our production systems is our top priority, and we are empowered to make changes at scale with speed and safety.
Our Platform teams utilise their software and systems engineering skills to both build up and mentor others, have a toolbox for troubleshooting distributed systems, and are responsible for building and maintaining the tools we are missing. We drive the overall strategy and direction of engineering excellence in service reliability, observability, infrastructure management and incident response.
- We are great collaborators
- We embrace every opportunity to automate
- We are confident to advocate for doing the right thing
- We are flexible life-long learners who embrace new challenges and new tools
- We can have open, honest and respectful conversations in everything we do
- Design, build and maintain our constantly evolving platform, infrastructure and services that run Deliveroo
- Teach and collaborate with others how to run production systems with confidence and autonomy
- Remain comfortable supporting teams with expertise in the areas of deployment, infrastructure configuration, scalability in all parts of the stack
- Help cultivate the engineering organisation e.g. engineer interviews, peer mentoring and technical evangelism
- Apply modern software engineering practices including writing and reviewing code
- Carry the pager, be on-call for the underlying platform used by other engineers
Our skills include:
We want to emphasise that we don’t expect you to meet all of the below but would love you to have experience in at least one area.
- Experience with VMs, containers and serverless compute platforms. (We use AWS for compute, e.g. EC2, ECS and Lambda)
- Experience with networking, CDNs, HTTP and TCP/IP basics. (We use Cloudflare, AWS VPCs and many of our services implement JSON and/or GraphQL APIs)
- Experience with operating systems, configuration management and "Infrastructure as Code". (We use AMIs, Docker Images, Terraform and Ansible)
- Experience with monitoring Web applications (We use Datadog, Sentry)
- Experience with managing databases, caches and message queues. (We use Postgres, DynamoDB, Redis and Kafka)
- Experience as a professional "DevOps", "SRE" or "SysAdmin" roles
- Ability to work with unfamiliar code bases, including internal, open source and 3rd party code we depend on
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.
About us Deliveroo is on a mission to transform the way the world thinks about food delivery. It’s not a chicken chow mein and a night on the sofa anymore, it’s your favourite local restaurant, it’s a dinner party, a date. We’re four years in, and along the way our team have taken hundreds of ideas from brainstorms to global roll-outs, like Deliveroo Editions – bespoke kitchens designed to host a locally-curated selection of restaurants. Editions are our solution to ensuring that our customers have access to the best of the food-scene, no matter where they live. And that’s just what we’re like at Deliveroo, no compromise allowed and lots of food-inspired challenges to get your teeth into. Out-of-the-box thinking is actively encouraged and we move quickly to make great ideas happen. We’re energetic, fast-paced and blow off steam with free-for-all Friday lunches. It’s a formula that’s working too – we’re bringing great food to customers in 12 countries and over 100 cities.
Want to learn more about Deliveroo? Visit Deliveroo's website.
Jobs You May Like
Technical Program Manager - Data Center Deployment
Cloudflare, San Francisco
Gwynnie Bee, New Delhi, India
Lead Front End Engineer
Senior Web Developer (Boston)
Intrepid Pursuits, Boston, MA
Senior Full Stack Engineer
Visa, Austin TX, US