Job Title: Production Engineer
Location: Cannon Street, London
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are already transforming the way people think about food, providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three-sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauces that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started.
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
The Production Platform Group build and maintain services, tooling and infrastructure that is relied upon by the rest of the company to provide excellent service to our customers, riders and restaurants.
The Production Engineering team is part of our Production Platform Group and are the go-to people for our product teams to consult on infrastructure and production readiness. The health of our systems is our top priority, and we are empowered to make changes at scale with speed and safety.
We utilise our software and systems engineering skills to both build up and mentor others, have a toolbox for troubleshooting distributed systems, and are responsible for building and maintaining the tools we are missing. We drive the overall strategy and direction of engineering excellence in service reliability, observability, infrastructure management and incident response.
- We are great collaborators
- We embrace every opportunity to automate
- We are confident to advocate for doing the right thing
- We are flexible life-long learners who embrace new challenges and new tools
- We can have open, honest and respectful conversations in everything we do
Examples of our day to day work:
- We design, build and manage tooling to make things like release management a great experience for our colleagues
- We manage the production cluster on AWS - enhancing the networking, security, observability and autoscaling etc.
- We create onboarding material and documentation so colleagues can hit the ground running on our platform
- We are on-call for the production cluster and services we own
Examples of our upcoming projects:
- Introducing chaos engineering principles
- Improve the application deployment cycle e.g. blue/green deploys, canaries etc.
- Build the ability to do automated internal load shedding
We want to emphasise that we don’t expect you to meet all of the below but would love you to have experience in operational and software development areas:
- Experience with VMs, containers and serverless compute platforms. (We use AWS for compute, e.g. EC2, ECS and Lambda)
- Experience with networking, CDNs, HTTP and TCP/IP basics. (We use Cloudflare, AWS VPCs and many of our services implement JSON and/or GraphQL APIs)
- Experience with operating systems, configuration management and "Infrastructure as Code". (We use AMIs, Docker Images, Terraform and Ansible)
- Experience with monitoring Web applications (We use Datadog, Sentry)
- Experience with managing databases, caches and message queues. (We use Postgres, DynamoDB, Redis)
- Experience as a professional "DevOps", "SRE" or "SysAdmin" roles
- Ability to work with unfamiliar codebases, including internal, open source and 3rd party code we depend on
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with a very large impact, seeking to solve some of the most interesting challenges out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and the entire company is very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours to work on. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role, to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-ups around.
About us Deliveroo is on a mission to transform the way the world thinks about food delivery. It’s not a chicken chow mein and a night on the sofa anymore, it’s your favourite local restaurant, it’s a dinner party, a date. We’re four years in, and along the way our team have taken hundreds of ideas from brainstorms to global roll-outs, like Deliveroo Editions – bespoke kitchens designed to host a locally-curated selection of restaurants. Editions are our solution to ensuring that our customers have access to the best of the food-scene, no matter where they live. And that’s just what we’re like at Deliveroo, no compromise allowed and lots of food-inspired challenges to get your teeth into. Out-of-the-box thinking is actively encouraged and we move quickly to make great ideas happen. We’re energetic, fast-paced and blow off steam with free-for-all Friday lunches. It’s a formula that’s working too – we’re bringing great food to customers in 12 countries and over 100 cities.