Job Title: Software Engineer - Web
Location: Cannon Street, London
Closing Date: 01/12/2018
Deliveroo is on a mission to transform the way the world thinks about food, to become the definitive food company, and to feed people three times a day. It’s not a chicken chow mein and a night on the sofa anymore, it’s your favourite local restaurant, it’s a dinner party, a date.
We’re five years in, and along the way our team have taken hundreds of ideas from brainstorms to global rollouts, like Deliveroo Editions bespoke kitchens designed to host a locally curated selection of restaurants. Editions are our solution to ensuring that our customers have access to the best of the food scene, no matter where they live.
And that’s just what we’re like at Deliveroo, no compromise allowed and lots of food inspired challenges to get your teeth into. Out of the box thinking is actively encouraged and we move quickly to make great ideas happen. We’re energetic, fast-paced and blow off steam with free for all Friday lunches.
It’s a formula that’s working too we’re bringing great food to customers in 12 countries and over 200 cities.
WHAT WE DO
We bring meals of the highest quality, from the restaurant to you, fast. Try it out if you haven’t before. Go to our website or open up our mobile app. You’ll be greeted by an elegant menu, put together by our talented product team. Once you’ve input your location, we’ll provide a curated list of restaurants that will deliver to you. Select your items, choose any modifiers (lemon and herb? Oh, come on!) and we’ll take over. Swap the sloppy joe for a gourmet burger just dripping with all sorts of deliciousness.
HOW WE DO IT
Our brilliant team have helped us build a fantastically complex system that alerts the restaurant to your order, and sends a Roo (that’s what we call them, the lovely people on scooters and bikes) to the restaurant, and then to your location, in an average time of 32 minutes. It’s great for all occasions: a business lunch, entertaining guests (or guest...we won’t tell them you didn’t make it yourself!), or any time where a dodgy smelling leftover kebab just won’t cut it! You'll learn from the very best. Our developers are of the highest calibre, and you can learn more about them by visiting our Engineering Blog
- Work as part of a full stack product team, working closely with Backend & Mobile Developers, Product Designers, Product Managers and QAs, to develop solutions to ensure optimal experiences for our customers, riders, and restaurants
- Utilise a variety of frontend technologies to build scalable products
- You’ll take part in decisions related to how we undertake new projects
- You’ll gather requirements and scope out projects with the rest of the team
- Experience building responsive UIs on the web that are both maintainable and robust
- Knowledge of testing techniques applied to web UIs (for example, Webdriver, WebPageTest)
- A broad knowledge of the web platform as a whole (HTTP, web performance, web security, frameworks)
- Great communication skills and evidence of successful collaboration with designers and backend engineers
- Some knowledge of React and Ruby on Rails, our current web stack
- In depth knowledge of web performance, accessibility or complementary skillsets
- Experience with Google Maps, OpenStreetMaps, or other geography visualisation applications.
- Fantastic exposure to scaling a tech team at a unique pace
- Work at our new headquarters right by Cannon Street Station. The office has a prayer room, nap room, onsite gym, and a rooftop garden overlooking Tower Bridge. We hold firmwide meetings on our basketball court
- Flexible working, including parent friendly working hours, flexible hours, working from home days - all made easy by our great use of tech including video conferencing, slack, workplace
- Maternity/paternity leave and shared parental leave
- An internationally diverse, sociable, dynamic team to work alongside
- Conferences (attending and/or speaking) and learning resources
- Company benefits including: discounted private healthcare and a pension plan with employer contributions, cycle to work scheme, charitable giving, subsidised gym membership, cycle parking)
- Company wide tech talks with internal and external speakers, and a calendar of tech meetups hosted on the premises
- Regular team off-sites
- Access to Deliveroo Plus (no delivery fee on all orders)
- Every Friday we order lunch for everyone from restaurants on the Deliveroo platform
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start ups around.
About us Deliveroo is on a mission to transform the way the world thinks about food delivery. It’s not a chicken chow mein and a night on the sofa anymore, it’s your favourite local restaurant, it’s a dinner party, a date. We’re four years in, and along the way our team have taken hundreds of ideas from brainstorms to global roll-outs, like Deliveroo Editions – bespoke kitchens designed to host a locally-curated selection of restaurants. Editions are our solution to ensuring that our customers have access to the best of the food-scene, no matter where they live. And that’s just what we’re like at Deliveroo, no compromise allowed and lots of food-inspired challenges to get your teeth into. Out-of-the-box thinking is actively encouraged and we move quickly to make great ideas happen. We’re energetic, fast-paced and blow off steam with free-for-all Friday lunches. It’s a formula that’s working too – we’re bringing great food to customers in 12 countries and over 100 cities.
Want to learn more about Deliveroo? Visit Deliveroo's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Front End Engineer
Machine Learning Engineering
Simon Data, New York, NY USA
Senior Software Engineer - Demand Engineering
Netflix, Los Gatos, California
Wish, San Francisco, United States
Senior Software Development Engineer in Tools/Test
Coursera, Mountain View, CA
Technical Writer Advisor