Director of Operations
Your favourite restaurants, delivered fast to your door.
Deliveroo is on a mission to transform the way the world thinks about food delivery. It’s not a chicken chow mein and a night on the sofa anymore, it’s your favourite local restaurant, it’s a dinner party, a date.
We’re four years in, and along the way our team have taken hundreds of ideas from brainstorms to global rollouts, like Deliveroo Editions bespoke kitchens designed to host a locally curated selection of restaurants. Editions are our solution to ensuring that our customers have access to the best of the food scene, no matter where they live.
And that’s just what we’re like at Deliveroo, no compromise allowed and lots of food inspired challenges to get your teeth into. Out of the box thinking is actively encouraged and we move quickly to make great ideas happen.
It’s a formula that’s working too as we’re bringing great food to customers in 12 countries and over 150 cities.
The Operations function is at the heart of the business – it’s an end to end service that ensures a seamless delivery service for customers, as well as drive our internal logistics operations.
To do this, we manage a fleet of 4000 riders which you’ll be responsible for growing to 8000 riders. This function also caters for thousands of restaurant partners which is growing all the time.
As we continue our phenomenal growth, the challenge to operate sustainably becomes ever harder. This role, reporting directly to the GM will have full ownership over one of our key functions, and will help our markets achieve the step changes required to become the world-leader in food.
Your responsibilities include:
- Overseeing the front-line operation for Singapore – understanding, analysing and driving our complex day-to-day logistics to ensure exceptional service levels. Along the way you’ll ensure we have enough riders in the fleet, that supply matches demand, and that riders have all the support they need
- Scaling up the rider fleet - we need to grow our existing fleet of 4000 to 8000 in 2018.
- Using analytics to build a platform that can sustainably scale – understanding what needs to be improved to increase efficiency and effectiveness of the fleet, and what we need to build now for the future
- Building the team and defining the org structure – there’s an ops team to build here and it’s key you can do that whilst ensuring our local ops teams are aligned.
- Leading the local strategy – understanding the cultural, legal and competitive landscape to ensure we’re constantly evolving, innovating and prioritising the right projects to meet business needs.
- Coaching and leading our people – working with the heads of departments and their teams to give them guidance and direction.
- Collaborating with product, procurement and other HQ central departments – working with all the supporting departments to ensure the Singapore market has their needs catered for, and are coordinated with upcoming changes to product, processes and strategy.
- Identifying opportunities for improvement – e.g. improving design of delivery zones, optimizing the flow of rider comms (for support and in the rider communities), reviewing efficiency in fleet staffing, ensuring correct and prompt payment etc.
The role needs an analytical and entrepreneurial leader who believes in the power of people.
- You need to be inquisitive, curious and ready to challenge the status quo.
- We are looking for a confident critical-thinker that can jump into different problems and come up with tactical recommendations.
- You’ll be driven by impact and want to make change now – this is about prioritising correctly, making constant, quick iterations in real time to improve the business rather than build 5 year strategies.
- You'll definitely do some number-crunching – it’s important to be able to quickly identify issues, inefficiencies and how big these might be.
- You’ll have had experience hiring and building teams on a large scale.
Some other things we’d like to see:
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, whilst keeping calm and composed at the same time.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills with great attention to detail.
- Confident communication skills and the ability to influence stakeholders across the organisation.
- Enough stats and excel skills, to separate the signal from the noise (as a lot of what we do is tested against the real world straight away).
- One of the following would also be beneficial: Scientific/Analytical Degree, top tier consulting or finance experience
- Top notch kit
- An abundance of great online learning courses delivered by global Universities
- BIG Friday lunches – food Deliveroo'd to the office
- Gym and phone subsidies
- Medical and dental insurance coverage
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start ups around.
About us Deliveroo is on a mission to transform the way the world thinks about food delivery. It’s not a chicken chow mein and a night on the sofa anymore, it’s your favourite local restaurant, it’s a dinner party, a date. We’re four years in, and along the way our team have taken hundreds of ideas from brainstorms to global roll-outs, like Deliveroo Editions – bespoke kitchens designed to host a locally-curated selection of restaurants. Editions are our solution to ensuring that our customers have access to the best of the food-scene, no matter where they live. And that’s just what we’re like at Deliveroo, no compromise allowed and lots of food-inspired challenges to get your teeth into. Out-of-the-box thinking is actively encouraged and we move quickly to make great ideas happen. We’re energetic, fast-paced and blow off steam with free-for-all Friday lunches. It’s a formula that’s working too – we’re bringing great food to customers in 12 countries and over 100 cities.
Want to learn more about Deliveroo? Visit Deliveroo's website.
Jobs You May Like
Adult Nurse Practitioner/Physicians Assistant
Pager, Long Island City
Site Reliability - Operations
Commissary Baker and Cook
Blue Bottle Coffee, Multiple Locations
Customer Success Manager
Slack, Tokyo, Japan
Client manager assistant trainee