Data Scientist, Analytics
Your favourite restaurants, delivered fast to your door.
Job Title: Data Scientist, Business Analytics
Closing Date: 5 December 2019
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
As a Data Scientist at Deliveroo you will be:
- Always curious and willing to learn new skills
- A problem solver with an analytical mindset
- A critical thinker with strong attention to detail
You will have:
- An excellent ability to break down a problem, and to get the core of the business question being answered.
- An ability to extract answers to business questions quickly and accurately.
- Strong people skills - you’ll be meeting with stakeholders to translate business needs into technical requirements
- Compelling story-telling skills, and an eye for powerful visualisations - you’ll need to translate your findings for less technical, time-constrained stakeholders
- A good understanding of querying in SQL - you’ll be expected to be able to extract the data you need for your analysis.
- Good knowledge of Excel/GSheets - depending on the task, there is a good chance that this is where a lot of your exploratory analysis will take place. Being comfortable with pivot tables and functions will be essential.
Nice to haves:
- Experience in strategic or management consulting
- Python or R coding ability (e.g. for regression analysis)
- Understanding of database structures and pipelines
- Experience with Looker or a similar BI/visualisation tool (e.g. Tableau)
You will get to help answer questions like:
- How do we balance analytical rigor and velocity in such a fast moving business?
- How much commission should we be asking for from our restaurant partners, such that it benefits us both?
- How do we balance growth vs profitability?
- How do we measure the strength of our consumer proposition?
- What makes a great rider and how do we keep them delivering with us?
- How do we decide where to expand to?
- How do we balance customer selection vs. customer service experience?
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.
About us Deliveroo is on a mission to transform the way the world thinks about food delivery. It’s not a chicken chow mein and a night on the sofa anymore, it’s your favourite local restaurant, it’s a dinner party, a date. We’re four years in, and along the way our team have taken hundreds of ideas from brainstorms to global roll-outs, like Deliveroo Editions – bespoke kitchens designed to host a locally-curated selection of restaurants. Editions are our solution to ensuring that our customers have access to the best of the food-scene, no matter where they live. And that’s just what we’re like at Deliveroo, no compromise allowed and lots of food-inspired challenges to get your teeth into. Out-of-the-box thinking is actively encouraged and we move quickly to make great ideas happen. We’re energetic, fast-paced and blow off steam with free-for-all Friday lunches. It’s a formula that’s working too – we’re bringing great food to customers in 12 countries and over 100 cities.