Applied Scientist - Geospatial
Descartes Labs, Remote
A data refinery, built to understand our planet
- Use our archive of satellite imagery, geophysical data, and other geospatial datasets to develop and implement scalable mineral exploration techniques and safety risk models
- Build and maintain operational dashboards and web applications to enable non-technical users to leverage the complex models we build
- Collaborate with product managers to develop new products and capabilities relevant to the mining sector
- Work with solutions managers to communicate progress to clients and translate the results of scientific analyses into actionable insights
- Actively participate as a member of a cross-disciplinary team, openly communicating your ideas, insights, and feedback and helping to continuously improve processes
What You Bring
- BSc, MSc, or PhD in a relevant scientific or quantitative field (e.g. remote sensing, imaging science, geography, geoscience)
- Demonstrated background developing statistical, machine learning, and/or simulation models for geospatial problems
- Proficiency in scientific computing with Python, with the ability to quickly pick up new technical skills
- Familiarity with dashboarding or web app development with Flask, Voila, Streamlit, Plotly, Panel, or other frameworks within the Python ecosystem
- Experience working with remote sensing and geospatial data
- Strong problem solving skills, with the ability to research, develop, and implement solutions to novel problems
- Self-motivated and able to work independently as well as within a team
Who You Are
- Curious. You are always exploring and experimenting, interested in why and how, seeking not only to understand but to make work and the world better. You enthusiastically share your learning with others and actively seek information and knowledge.
- Conscientious. You are determined, always keep your promises, and are forward thinking. Principled and integrous, you take your commitments seriously.
- Humble. Unpretentious and self-aware, you cultivate compassion for others and take responsibility for your mistakes. Egos are barriers to doing the best work and always learning.
- Open and Inclusive. You are receptive and interested in new ideas and perspectives, even when those perspectives don’t agree with your views. You value and respect difference and create ways for all people to contribute to the organization.
- Collaborative. You know it takes a team to get anything accomplished and you actively and inclusively work across the organization. You listen intently and openly and are always focused first on creating the best results.
- Adaptable. You are able to navigate changing circumstances and environments with ease and approach uncertainty with enthusiasm, while inspiring others towards effective goal setting and accomplishment.
Our Interview Process
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 45-minute interview with one of our recruiters
- Depending on the outcome of the recruiting interview, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30-60 minute interview with our Exploration and Safety Hiring Manager
- Next is a coding interview with a scientist from the Applied Science team
- Finally, candidates are invited to a round of virtual interviews with 4 members of the Science and Technology Solutions team
Top Reasons to Work at Descartes Labs
- We pride collaboration over ownership, iteration over perfection, principles over rules, and discussion over directives
- We’re using the world’s top technology to solve the world’s largest problems with a strong focus on sustainability, environment, and impact science
- We look at Descartes Labs as a work environment where people are included, treat their colleagues with professional regard and respect, and thrive as a result
- We’re a highly collaborative company that constantly promotes success through teamwork
- We strongly encourage and enjoy a flexible work environment
- Descartes Labs offers a generous compensation package including competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; a 401K plan; paid holidays and paid time off
About Descartes Labs
Data will be the great enabler of new technologies, new products, and new businesses of our generation. Descartes Labs is building a data-refinery on a cloud-based supercomputer for the application of machine intelligence to massive data sets. By teaching computers to see, we create the infrastructure and services needed to model — and predict changes in — resources and the entire value chains in which they live. We enable businesses to better apply insights from data - both their own and external sources - across sectors ranging from energy and agriculture to large scale industrial and government. Our mission is to better understand the planet, for good and for profit, so our team of applied scientists also does impact science work around natural disasters, the spread of disease, and food security. Today, Descartes Labs is using its data refinery for satellite imagery. We currently process images from the major NASA and ESA satellite constellations at scale, creating a digital data twin of the entire planet that monitors the whole earth, in near real-time. We are headquartered in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and have offices in New York, San Francisco, Washington D.C., and Los Alamos, New Mexico.
Want to learn more about Descartes Labs? Visit Descartes Labs's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.