Applied Scientist - Government (Secret)
Descartes Labs, Remote
A data refinery, built to understand our planet
- Use our archive of satellite imagery, weather data, and other geospatial datasets to develop and build change detection, computer vision, and agricultural monitoring tools and models.
- Work closely with our customers and partners to develop data visualization frameworks, interfaces, and tools.
- Collaborate with product managers to develop new products, feature datasets, and capabilities relevant to our government customers.
- Work with project managers to communicate progress to clients and translate the results of scientific analyses into actionable insights.
- Actively participate as a member of a cross-disciplinary team, openly communicating your ideas, insights, and feedback and helping to continuously improve processes.
- Collaborate with product managers to develop new products, feature datasets, and capabilities.
What You Bring
- Demonstrated background developing deep learning, computer vision, and/or machine learning models in a customer-focused environment.
- Experience building and iterating on proof-of-concept level demonstrations to drive customer conversations.
- Real-world software experience in Python is required; familiarity with TensorFlow, PyTorch, or another deep learning framework preferred.
- Experience working with remote sensing and geospatial data.
- Strong problem solving skills, with the ability to research, develop, and implement solutions to novel problems.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently as well as within a team.
- Degree (BS/MS/PhD) in a relevant field preferred .
- Familiarity with cloud-based and/or distributed computing.
- Security Clearance eligible; existing Secret or TS clearance preferred.
Who You Are
- Curious. You are always exploring and experimenting, interested in why and how, seeking not only to understand but to make work and the world better. You enthusiastically share your learning with others and actively seek information and knowledge.
- Conscientious. You are determined, always keep your promises, and are forward thinking. Principled and integrous, you take your commitments seriously.
- Humble. Unpretentious and self-aware, you cultivate compassion for others and take responsibility for your mistakes. Egoes are barriers to doing the best work and always learning.
- Open and Inclusive. You are receptive and interested in new ideas and perspectives, even when those perspectives don’t agree with your views. You value and respect difference and create ways for all people to contribute to the organization.
- Collaborative. You know it takes a team to get anything accomplished and you actively and inclusively work across the organization. You listen intently and openly and are always focused first on creating the best results.
- Adaptable. You are able to navigate changing circumstances and environments with ease and approach uncertainty with enthusiasm, while inspiring others towards effective goal setting and accomplishment.
Top Reasons to Work at Descartes Labs
- Free Fridays! - Spend Fridays the way you want, there is no expectation to work! Some of us are in customer-facing roles, or on-call, and may need to be flexible to create great customer experiences, but that should be the exception and not the rule.
- We pride collaboration over ownership, iteration over perfection, principles over rules, and discussion over directives.
- We’re using the world’s top technology to solve the world’s largest problems with a strong focus on sustainability, environment, and impact science.
- We look at Descartes Labs as a work environment where people are included, treat their colleagues with professional regard and respect, and thrive as a result.
- We strongly encourage and enjoy a flexible work environment; Free Fridays, unlimited PTO, remote-firstDescartes Labs offers a generous compensation package including a competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; paid holidays, unlimited PTO; monthly WFH stipend.
About Descartes Labs
Data will be the great enabler of new technologies, new products, and new businesses of our generation. Descartes Labs is building a data-refinery on a cloud-based supercomputer for the application of machine intelligence to massive data sets. By teaching computers to see, we create the infrastructure and services needed to model — and predict changes in — resources and the entire value chains in which they live. We enable businesses to better apply insights from data - both their own and external sources - across sectors ranging from energy and agriculture to large scale industrial and government. Our mission is to better understand the planet, for good and for profit, so our team of applied scientists also does impact science work around natural disasters, the spread of disease, and food security. Today, Descartes Labs is using its data refinery for satellite imagery. We currently process images from the major NASA and ESA satellite constellations at scale, creating a digital data twin of the entire planet that monitors the whole earth, in near real-time. We are headquartered in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and have offices in New York, San Francisco, Washington D.C., and Los Alamos, New Mexico.
Want to learn more about Descartes Labs? Visit Descartes Labs's website.
German engineered blades and shaving cream online for a fair price
Tech Jobs For You
Corporate Counsel - Technology Transactions
Qualtrics, Washington, District of Columbia, United States