Senior Android Engineer
DICE, London, Greater London UK
Disrupting how fans discover the best new music and events
We built DICE for fans. We’ve gone from being a tiny six-person company in London to a 90+ person (and growing) company that is now launching around the world.
DICE is obsessed with design and technology and is on a mission to be the world’s best platform to discover and buy tickets to amazing live experiences. The best artists all work closely with us to make sure their tickets go to their fans, not scalpers or touts.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
We’re looking for user-centric Android engineers with strong technical skills and potential. You’re a team player who can collaborate with people at various levels of technical ability, and understand the delicate balance between moving fast & iteration against building tested, resilient code.
Ultimately, you’re a product-focused individual who is passionate about the impact your work has on users that happens to be a mobile engineer!
We are happy to offer relocation assistance for this position!
Our app is largely in Kotlin (we are still migrating over a few old components) and structured using MVP architecture (Model-View-Presenter). We use Rx heavily, make network requests with Retrofit, and use Dagger for dependency injection - we use a myriad of other libraries but if you are comfortable with the above then you are in a good starting place. Our minimum SDK version is 21 too, which is nice.
We use GitHub pull requests for any new piece of code, write unit tests using Mockito and have automated UI tests written with Espresso.
We’re always open to making changes and improvements to our workflow and code base for the benefit of the team and product.
HOW WE WORK
As an Android Engineer at DICE you’ll work in cross-functional, collaborative teams alongside iOS Engineers, Backend Engineers, Product Managers, Product Designers, User Researchers, QA Testers and Growth Managers. You’ll also be working on projects with people outside on the Product team, including Creative, Fan Support, Accounts & Venues.
As we grow, we’re planning to transition into squads and disciplines, while keeping the teams flat. Each squad will have a dedicated goal and each discipline will keep horizontal relationships.
You and your team will be responsible for an overall company goal, rather than building a specific feature - you'll have a direct impact on both what we build, and how we build it. Currently, our Android Engineers are working on fan experience, customer growth, revenue and internal operations.
As a Product team, we meet every two weeks to discuss hurdles we’re facing across the company and work together to overcome these. As a discipline regularly to discuss tools and techniques to update out codebase and improve processes, as well as put our heads together about best approaches when faced with a new technical challenge.
- Working on all stages of the development lifecycle to add additional and maintain the existing functionality of our Android app
- Work cross-functional with Product Managers, Testers, Engineers and Designers to understand requirements, provide technical insights and provide timescale estimations
- Work in an iterative approach, helping design, building and trialing out new concepts quickly to test assumptions and create the best possible service we can
- You’re excited about working in Kotlin and our tech stack sounds appealing
- You’ve released and iterated on at least one app in the Google Play Store
- You really care about producing a stunning product with a great user experience
- Enjoy coming up with solutions to technical challenges
- You’re not afraid to handle a large code base
- Have an understanding of the principles of computer science
- Contribute to open source projects (bonus)
- Competitive salary
- Unlimited holiday
- Private Healthcare
- Mental Health and Wellbeing programmes
- DICE Development Programme
- DICE credit to spend on gigs
- Regular socials
- Free breakfast
- Brand new HQ in East London!
We built DICE for fans. We’ve gone from being a tiny six-person company in London to being one of the fastest growing consumer businesses to originate from Europe.
DICE is obsessed with data and technology and on a mission to get people out more. We started DICE to completely change how ticketing works. Along the way, we’ve built a powerful cultural platform that has disrupted how fans discover the best new music and events, has the power to break new artists, and keeps tickets of established acts in the hands of fans.