Director, Engineering: Performance
Digital Ocean, New York - NY, Cambridge - MA, Remote
Cloud computing designed for developers
Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.
We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love.
DigitalOcean is seeking a highly motivated and experienced technical Engineering Director to lead our Performance engineering efforts and programs. The Director of Performance Engineering works with the business to integrate performance capabilities into DigitalOcean’s products, people, and processes. Performance at DigitalOcean is about driving the business forward and making it and its customers more performant every step of the way. This group is responsible for measuring, monitoring and enhancing the performance and scalability of the DO platform and products.
We are looking for someone with a great understanding of teams and process who will be accountable for the engineering team’s performance and quality. You will also manage the recruitment, selection, and retention of the team as we continue to grow and scale. This role can be worked remotely or from our offices in NYC and Cambridge, MA.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Build, lead and mentor a team of skilled performance engineers
- Define and evolve the vision for Performance at a dynamic company and identifying innovative ways of accomplishing that vision
- Work with all aspects of the business and company to drive the performance vision
- Collaborate with leadership on all aspects of performance management of our infrastructure and product portfolio
- Work with product owners to incorporate performance into the products built by DigitalOcean
- Encourage a data-driven and performant-by-default culture to improve the performance, efficiency and scalability of services and systems
- Provide tools and services to our engineers to allow them to gain further insights into performance issues before and after code is deployed
- Optimize how performance engineering activities are executed in the PDLC & SDLC
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Strong understanding and vision of how to design performance programs
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the performance engineering domains (e.g. benchmarking, performance analysis, performance tooling, performance testing)
- Strong knowledge of technologies and methodologies for enabling performant infrastructure, products, and code
- Experience in performance testing and tuning at a micro (CPU, I/O) and macro (end-to-end SaaS) levels
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills
- Pragmatic leadership skills
- Experience leading and growing teams
- Experience working with senior leadership
- Ability to influence
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About Digital Ocean
DigitalOcean is a simple and robust cloud computing platform, designed for developers.
Want to learn more about Digital Ocean? Visit https://www.digitalocean.com
Jobs You May Like
Senior Manager Partner Marketing - Spain
Netflix, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Software Engineer II - APAC
TripAdvisor, Needham, MA
Director, Business Operations
IDEO, Palo Alto
Spring, Headquarters - NYC
Social Media Manager - France
Netflix, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Marketing & Community Associate
XO Group, New York