Trust and Safety Specialist
Digital Ocean, New York - NY, Cambridge - MA, Remote
Cloud computing designed for developers
Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companie
We want people who are passionate about solving problems and protecting the cloud.
We are looking for an experienced and goal-oriented colleague to join the team whose mission is to safeguard the DigitalOcean user experience while providing a stable cloud infrastructure. Trust and Safety Specialists manage and mitigate risk through executing policies and strategies that strengthen the trust between DigitalOcean and our community while also contributing to the health and upkeep of the Internet of things.
Reporting to the Trust & Safety Manager, Trust and Safety Specialists focus on a myriad of areas, including content abuse (e.g. phishing, spam, malware), security (e.g. brute forcing, port scanning, account hijackings ), risk (e.g. fraud, morally objectionable subjects), legal and regulatory (e.g. DMCA, trademark, law enforcement requests, defamation), and more.
This position can be be based in New York or Cambridge. Cambridge applicants, please note that this role will require occasional travel to our office in New York for training, team building, and company events.
With over 200,000 customers utilizing 10+ data centers and 10,000+ hypervisors every day, our Trust & Safety Specialists never lose sight of the role we play in making the internet a more secure place for everyone. It’s a challenging and rewarding position in which you’ll handle sensitive data, onboard customers, investigate and handle abuse, and identify innovative ways to address issues in the future proactively.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Vetting a high volume of Abuse claims, responding to reporters, and managing negotiations with impacted customers. Conducting fraud investigations and verifying payment information for new and existing customers.
- Analyzing network traffic to identify compromised systems, negate floods and denial of service attacks, and pinpoint excessive resource use.
- Enforcing the Terms of Service and providing information about “best practices” to our users.
- Locating trends in abuse vectors, communicating with leadership to apprise of extent, and advocating for appropriate change to prevent future occurrences.
- Collaborating with the Security organization and Infrastructure teams to harden account, platform, and service structures to combat hijackings and compromises.
- Maintaining usability of DigitalOcean IP space by brokering de-listing requests from “drop lists” or block listings (Spamhaus.org) that prevent the flow of email for our customers.
- Evaluating hosted content and following up based on DigitalOcean’s Acceptable Use Policy (may occasionally be exposed to adult content and other somewhat disturbing content during the process).
- Assisting cross-functional groups such as Data, Capacity, and Cloud Operations to find creative solutions for infrastructure impacting events caused by customer activity.
- Acting as “point of contact” for incident management and escalations, and providing supporting data for critical issues, downtime events, and Post-Mortem reports purview to Trust and Safety issues.
- Preserving evidence for submission to Law Enforcement, The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, or other Government entities for pending/ongoing criminal investigations.
- Processing copyright violations conforming to DMCA requirements, actioning trademark infringement reports containing valid proof of registration, and consulting with Legal department resources to discuss gray-areas and evaluate company risk.
- Determining customer eligibility for service limit increases and access to additional product tiers upon request.
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Ability to stay calm under pressure; comfortable in high-stress situations.
- Background with relevant technology (e.g. DNS, SMTP), and understanding of Linux systems.
- Familiarity with reading a packet capture (e.g. WireShark/CloudShark).
- Integrity and the willingness to do what is right - not what is easy.
- An inquisitive nature and ability to perform extensive investigations.
- Ability to quickly learn new systems and ability to adapt to rapid changes.
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to quickly identify trends and patterns.
- Positive attitude with a desire to keep our customers and the internet safe.
- Willingness to work in a 24x7 setting (nights and weekends)
- Bonus: Knowledge of Programming/Scripting (Ruby, Python, Bash).
- Bonus: Experience working in a privacy role with access privileges to sensitive data.
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About Digital Ocean
DigitalOcean is a simple and robust cloud computing platform, designed for developers.
Want to learn more about Digital Ocean? Visit https://www.digitalocean.com
Jobs You May Like
Senior Front End Developer
Red Ventures, South Charlotte
Sales Supervisor (Full-Time) - Georgetown
rag & bone, Washington, D.C.
Site Reliability Engineer
Casper, New York
Lead QA Automation Engineer
Everwise, New York, NY
Director of Marketing, Customer Acquisition
CB Insights, New York
Software Engineer, Payments
Wish, San Francisco, United States