Senior Software Engineer - Audio/Video (C++)
Discord, San Francisco
We built Discord to bring gamers together
Join our journey to create the best cross-platform application for messaging and real-time interactions! The Audio & Video engineering team at Discord owns the technology and end to end-user experience of our audio/video features across desktop and mobile. The team’s mission is to give our users the utmost confidence that our voice, video, and client experience is outstanding.
- Develop core libraries and infrastructure supporting high-quality, low latency voice/video/text communication between hundreds of millions of users
- Develop new audio and video features across desktop, iOS, and Android platforms
- Continuously improve video quality end to end
- Fix performance issues and bugs by root causing real-world end-user audio/video issues
- Architect elegant and maintainable code with a focus on autonomy and support from the team
- 4+ years experience with embedded or systems-level engineering
- Comfort with coding in C++
- Experience working on large, cross-platform software projects
- Keen focus on code readability and incremental refactoring
- Experience working with WebRTC, SIP, SDP, SRTP
- Experience working with common audio/video codecs such as AC3/EAC3, MPEG-4, VP8/H.264
- You contribute to open-source projects
- We take care of our team with comprehensive Medical (HMO or PPO), Dental, and Vision at no cost for employees
- Paid leave for new parents and 14-days PTO
- Fully subsidized commuter and parking benefit
- Gym allowance
- Awesome daily catered lunches and snacks
Gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. We created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
We'd love your help. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.
About us Discord is the all-in-one voice and text chat app designed specifically for gamers. It's free, secure, and works on both desktop and phone. Our mission is to bring gaming communities together. Discord's free voice and text chat is about making it easier for you spend time with the people you care about, create these memories, and land a headshot or two. Two hundred seventy million PC gamers use chat apps to communicate while playing online games. As gamers, we got fed up with many of these chat tools and decided to fix the problem ourselves. As a result, we've built the best all-in-one voice and text chat app for gamers. Fortunately, a lot of people love it. Discord currently has 45 million registered users with over 9 million Daily Active Users. The service sees 200 million messages posted a day, over 4 million peak concurrent players and a staggering 16 petabytes of voice chat data going through its servers every month. Founded by the team behind OpenFeint - a networking platform that united mobile games with achievements and social functionality - Discord has raised over $30M from top VCs like Greylock, Benchmark, Accel, and Tencent.
Want to learn more about Discord? Visit Discord's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one