Senior Engineering Manager, Spam & Abuse
Discord, San Francisco, CA
We built Discord to bring gamers together
Discord's Spam & Abuse team is building product features, tools, and systems to provide a safe place for communities and friends to talk. We use modern languages and best practices like Python 3 and Rust, and our systems operate on millions of events per second to find and isolate unwanted content and protect our users.
We partner with Discord's Trust & Safety team to provide delightful, easy to use tooling to react to emergent threats to our users and our platform, all while maintaining the extremely high bar of user privacy and data protection we hold ourselves to.
Discord is looking for a mission-driven Senior Engineering Manager to lead our Spam & Abuse team as we continue to grow. As a manager responsible for the Spam & Abuse team, you will have lead and influence the evolution of these systems and their architecture. You will report to our Director of Infrastructure.
If that sounds exciting to you, read on!
What you'll be doing
- Build and lead teams of engaged engineers by hiring, coaching, and instilling autonomy, mastery, and purpose.
- Hire, grow, and coach Engineering Managers to partner with you in building the teams you will need.
- Create the technical vision and roadmap for the Spam & Abuse team by working with your team and partners across the company.
- Manage processes and use your technical expertise to improve the Engineering organization, and ensure your team achieves extraordinary results.
- Work with other Engineering Managers to improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
What you should have
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- You have 6+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager and have managed at least 10 Software Engineers across two or more teams.
- You care deeply about the user experience and have experience building systems to combat Spam & Abuse at Internet scale.
- You keep up with the industry trends and think about how to help your team solve technical problems.
- Experience working on rules based real-time data pipelines and machine learning infrastructure.
- Experience building and scaling tools combating CSAM, terrorism, and other unwanted content.
- Experience building the tooling and systems to support an effective Trust & Safety function.
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 13 paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. We created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.
About us Discord is the all-in-one voice and text chat app designed specifically for gamers. It's free, secure, and works on both desktop and phone. Our mission is to bring gaming communities together. Discord's free voice and text chat is about making it easier for you spend time with the people you care about, create these memories, and land a headshot or two. Two hundred seventy million PC gamers use chat apps to communicate while playing online games. As gamers, we got fed up with many of these chat tools and decided to fix the problem ourselves. As a result, we've built the best all-in-one voice and text chat app for gamers. Fortunately, a lot of people love it. Discord currently has 45 million registered users with over 9 million Daily Active Users. The service sees 200 million messages posted a day, over 4 million peak concurrent players and a staggering 16 petabytes of voice chat data going through its servers every month. Founded by the team behind OpenFeint - a networking platform that united mobile games with achievements and social functionality - Discord has raised over $30M from top VCs like Greylock, Benchmark, Accel, and Tencent.
Want to learn more about Discord? Visit Discord's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.