Engineering Manager - Real Time Communication
Discord, San Francisco
We built Discord to bring gamers together
Join our journey to create the best cross-platform application for messaging and real-time interactions! The Audio & Video engineering team at Discord oversees the technology and end to end user experience of our audio/video features across desktop and mobile. The team’s mission is to give our users the utmost certainty that our voice, video, and client experience is excellent..
Discord is looking for a highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Engineering Manager to help us refine and broaden the delight and influence of our audio and video technology. As the manager responsible for the Audio & Video team reporting into our Native Engineering Manager, you will have significant leadership and outsize influence on the evolution of all real-time communications at Discord..
What you'll be doing
- Lead a team of highly-engaged engineers by hiring, coaching, and instilling ownership and impact in the team.
- Guide the technical vision and roadmap for the Audio & Video team by working with your team and partners across the company.
- Manage processes and leverage your technical expertise to continually ensure your team delivers extraordinary results.
- Work with other Engineering Managers to continuously improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
What you should have
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- You have 3+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager and successfully managed a team of 5+ Software Engineers.
- You're a mentor, storyteller, and you're great at coordinating with a variety of teams throughout the company.
- You excel in undefined environments and get excited about finding solutions to complex technical challenges, and then building them.
- You enjoy coming up with pragmatic solutions to concrete problems using first principles thinking.
- You've worked with high scale audio or video systems across the internet.
- You are passionate about coaching and leading other engineers, but love to code when the opportunity arises.
- You keep up with the industry trends and continuously identify new tools to use to solve technical problems.
- Experience working with WebRTC, SIP, SDP, SRTP, DTLS
- Experience working with audio and video codecs.
- You have strong open-source leadership or contributions.
- You have been a leader at a growing company and seen what could happen next..
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 13 paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Friends, coworkers, gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. Originally, we created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.
About us Discord is the all-in-one voice and text chat app designed specifically for gamers. It's free, secure, and works on both desktop and phone. Our mission is to bring gaming communities together. Discord's free voice and text chat is about making it easier for you spend time with the people you care about, create these memories, and land a headshot or two. Two hundred seventy million PC gamers use chat apps to communicate while playing online games. As gamers, we got fed up with many of these chat tools and decided to fix the problem ourselves. As a result, we've built the best all-in-one voice and text chat app for gamers. Fortunately, a lot of people love it. Discord currently has 45 million registered users with over 9 million Daily Active Users. The service sees 200 million messages posted a day, over 4 million peak concurrent players and a staggering 16 petabytes of voice chat data going through its servers every month. Founded by the team behind OpenFeint - a networking platform that united mobile games with achievements and social functionality - Discord has raised over $30M from top VCs like Greylock, Benchmark, Accel, and Tencent.
Want to learn more about Discord? Visit Discord's website.
See jobs at Bluecore