Senior Engineering Manager, Presentation Frameworks
Discord, San Francisco, CA
We built Discord to bring gamers together
Discord is looking for a highly technical, creative, hands-on and mission-driven Engineering Manager to lead the teams of engineers whose work helps accelerate our entire Product Engineering organization.
Your role will be to hire and coach the ICs, as well as design and hire the managers of future teams. You’ll hire and build these new teams to help make the company as a whole faster and more efficient, and grow the engineers into creative, autonomous, and reliable squads. You will partner with the Director of Engineering to find the areas of greatest impact, and create new teams to support future strategic goals. Your teams will look over the horizon to find technical opportunities and risks we should take, investigate and then make it happen. You will lead the organization in ending technical debt, and ensuring excellence of quality across all teams in Product Engineering.
What you'll be doing
- Build exceptional teams of highly-engaged engineers by hiring, coaching and instilling a sense of ownership and impact, directly and through your managers.
- Work with the Directors and leads in Product Engineering to define your team’s vision and roadmap by thoroughly understanding your customers’ needs.
- Leverage your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar and ensure your team delivers extraordinary results at the high technical level we set.
- Adjusting team composition, and creating new teams, to adapt to changing needs or tuning team dynamics
- Making sound first-principle decisions around resourcing, and making the rationale clear to partners and team members
- Partnering with your Director on strategic planning and to continuously improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
- Partnering with Design to develop core component frameworks and best-practices
What you should have
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- You have 6+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager and successfully managed at least 10 Software Engineers.
- You have strong communication skills and the ability to work well cross-functionally.
- You thrive in ambiguous environments and get excited about figuring out solutions to complex problems, and then executing on them.
- You are a first principles thinker that is able to work with others to come up with pragmatic solutions.
- You have a strong sense of development ergonomics, and take pride in understanding your engineer customers.
- Code does not scare you, you are still an engineer even if you don't do it all the time.
- You keep up with the industry trends and can assess new technologies that can help us better solve problems.
- History of strong collaboration with designers and product managers
Friends, coworkers, gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. Originally, we created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.
About us Discord is the all-in-one voice and text chat app designed specifically for gamers. It's free, secure, and works on both desktop and phone. Our mission is to bring gaming communities together. Discord's free voice and text chat is about making it easier for you spend time with the people you care about, create these memories, and land a headshot or two. Two hundred seventy million PC gamers use chat apps to communicate while playing online games. As gamers, we got fed up with many of these chat tools and decided to fix the problem ourselves. As a result, we've built the best all-in-one voice and text chat app for gamers. Fortunately, a lot of people love it. Discord currently has 45 million registered users with over 9 million Daily Active Users. The service sees 200 million messages posted a day, over 4 million peak concurrent players and a staggering 16 petabytes of voice chat data going through its servers every month. Founded by the team behind OpenFeint - a networking platform that united mobile games with achievements and social functionality - Discord has raised over $30M from top VCs like Greylock, Benchmark, Accel, and Tencent.
Want to learn more about Discord? Visit Discord's website.
Help the world share their story
Jobs You May Like
Security Architect/Sr. Architect, Streaming Services
NBCUniversal, See List Below, Multiple Locations