Senior Software Engineer - Android
Discord, 444 De Haro St
We built Discord to bring gamers together
Our mobile engineers are dedicated to continually building new features for the tens of millions of people using our app every day. Come help us build the Android version of a voice and text chat app that helps create meaningful relationships with each other! This will be an opportunity to shape the foundation and future of Android at Discord.
Our small, but mighty mobile team are passionate about developing well-designed, scalable software that will create conversations, communities, and a place for belonging to our millions of users - while maintaining good work/life balance. We believe that a clean, simple, and elegant interface is pivotal to achieving the best user experience.
We’re looking for product-driven, thoughtful mobile engineers who have strong attention to detail, strong understanding of UX design, and very importantly, compassion for our users. We encourage our engineers to follow their interests while maintaining real ownership over their work.
What you'll be doing
- Build new features (while squashing bugs) for our growing Android app to extend device support across the Android ecosystem.
- Work on meaningful, large-scale, mobile-first initiatives to allow for users to have more delightful conversations, enjoy game perks (coming soon!), and support the product.
- Architect elegant and maintainable code with a focus on autonomy and support from the team.
- Build intuitive features to improve the experience specifically for mobile users (this is still an open ended problem here! Help us come up with great new ideas).
- Collaborate with design, data, and business teams to build beautiful interfaces that look great and run smoothly.
- Proactively drive and improve the technical direction of mobile, bolstering the technical foundational, improving performance, and re-architecting as needed.
What you should have
- A solid understanding of Android development frameworks and app fundamentals, RxJava (Android uses this extensively), Kotlin (not required, but our app is mostly Kotlin!), and functional reactive programming patterns.
- Experience developing and shipping real-world Android applications - bonus points for complementing experience building modern front-end SPAs (or personal side projects that contribute to the)) Android community with a shown passion for engineering and product sense).
Excellent attention to detail and an eye for visuals. Design skills are not required but you should be able to critique and modify existing designs.
Benefits and Perks
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance (options for individual and/or family, including One Medical membership for health) and Disability benefits
- Commuter subsidies, healthcare and/or Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- 4 weeks of PTO (alongside 14 paid holidays and use-what-you-need sick days)
- Parental Leave
- Well-being programs, including fitness allowance (we have yoga once a week in our office!)
- 401(K) plans
- Catered lunches Monday-Friday and a fully-stocked kitchen (snacks and beverages galore!)
- Regular company and team social events such as game nights, happy hours and events
- An annual desk fund to make your space truly yours
- Headphone allowance
- Internal Learning and Development workshops to help with continued personal and professional growth
About us Discord is the all-in-one voice and text chat app designed specifically for gamers. It's free, secure, and works on both desktop and phone. Our mission is to bring gaming communities together. Discord's free voice and text chat is about making it easier for you spend time with the people you care about, create these memories, and land a headshot or two. Two hundred seventy million PC gamers use chat apps to communicate while playing online games. As gamers, we got fed up with many of these chat tools and decided to fix the problem ourselves. As a result, we've built the best all-in-one voice and text chat app for gamers. Fortunately, a lot of people love it. Discord currently has 45 million registered users with over 9 million Daily Active Users. The service sees 200 million messages posted a day, over 4 million peak concurrent players and a staggering 16 petabytes of voice chat data going through its servers every month. Founded by the team behind OpenFeint - a networking platform that united mobile games with achievements and social functionality - Discord has raised over $30M from top VCs like Greylock, Benchmark, Accel, and Tencent.