Senior Software Engineer - Infrastructure
Discord, 444 De Haro St
We built Discord to bring gamers together
Here’s a crazy idea: build a voice and text chat app people actually care about with a remarkable, creative, hilarious (read: insane) team.
Do you get excited about working on a distributed system with millions of concurrent users? How about writing and deploying code to it without any downtime? What about keeping API latency under 15ms? How about making sure the system handles failure and heals itself so the team can sleep at night?
If these are the kinds of problems that interest you, then we would love to chat.
What you'll be doing
- Participating in building and running a distributed, worldwide, real-time system that processes millions of events per second.
- Working with a modern tech stack built on GCE with Elixir/Erlang, Python, Go, Cassandra, Redis, Elasticsearch, and a hint of C++ where appropriate.
- Architecting efficient and creative solutions to scale our backend systems.
- Deploying your own code.
- Building internal tools and libraries.
What you should have
- Minimum of 4 years experience building scalable backend systems.
- Experience working on, and deploying, large-scale systems in Python, Go, Elixir/Erlang, or other similar languages.
- Experience debugging a live production system.
- Self-motivation and the ability to take a high-level goal and deliver shippable code.
- Experience with the Erlang VM.
- Experience with Apache Cassandra or Elasticsearch.
- Experience with DevOps tools like SaltStack and clouds like Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience with WebRTC.
- Ability to build client-side UI, in which case you’ll deliver full slice vertical features. In this case, you’ll work closely with design and frontend engineering teams.
About us Discord is the all-in-one voice and text chat app designed specifically for gamers. It's free, secure, and works on both desktop and phone. Our mission is to bring gaming communities together. Discord's free voice and text chat is about making it easier for you spend time with the people you care about, create these memories, and land a headshot or two. Two hundred seventy million PC gamers use chat apps to communicate while playing online games. As gamers, we got fed up with many of these chat tools and decided to fix the problem ourselves. As a result, we've built the best all-in-one voice and text chat app for gamers. Fortunately, a lot of people love it. Discord currently has 45 million registered users with over 9 million Daily Active Users. The service sees 200 million messages posted a day, over 4 million peak concurrent players and a staggering 16 petabytes of voice chat data going through its servers every month. Founded by the team behind OpenFeint - a networking platform that united mobile games with achievements and social functionality - Discord has raised over $30M from top VCs like Greylock, Benchmark, Accel, and Tencent.