Senior Software Engineer - Infrastructure
Discord, San Francisco, CA
We built Discord to bring gamers together
Here’s a crazy idea: build a voice and text chat app people actually care about with a remarkable, creative, hilarious (read: insane) team. Reporting into our Director of Engineering (Infrastructure) we are looking for someone who gets excited about working on a distributed system with millions of concurrent users.
How about writing and deploying code to it without any downtime? What about keeping API latency under 15ms? How about making sure the system handles failure and heals itself so the team can sleep at night? If these are the kinds of problems that interest you, then we would love to chat.
What you'll be doing
- Participate in building and running a distributed, worldwide, real-time system that processes millions of events per second
- Work with a modern tech stack built on GCE with Elixir, Python 3, and Rust
- Architect efficient and creative solutions to grow our backend systems
- Deploy your code (and own its performance)
- Build internal tools and libraries (and open source them!)
What you should have
- 4+ years experience building scalable backend systems
- Experience working on, and deploying, large-scale systems in Python, Go, Elixir/Erlang, or other similar languages.
- Experience debugging a live production system
- Can take a high-level goal and provide shippable code
- Experience with the Erlang VM
- Experience with Apache Cassandra or Elasticsearch
- Experience with DevOps tools like SaltStack and clouds like Google Cloud Platform
- Experience with WebRTC
- Can build client-side UI, in which case you’ll provide full slice vertical features. In this case, you’ll work with design and frontend engineering teams
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 13 paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Transgender benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.
About us Discord is the all-in-one voice and text chat app designed specifically for gamers. It's free, secure, and works on both desktop and phone. Our mission is to bring gaming communities together. Discord's free voice and text chat is about making it easier for you spend time with the people you care about, create these memories, and land a headshot or two. Two hundred seventy million PC gamers use chat apps to communicate while playing online games. As gamers, we got fed up with many of these chat tools and decided to fix the problem ourselves. As a result, we've built the best all-in-one voice and text chat app for gamers. Fortunately, a lot of people love it. Discord currently has 45 million registered users with over 9 million Daily Active Users. The service sees 200 million messages posted a day, over 4 million peak concurrent players and a staggering 16 petabytes of voice chat data going through its servers every month. Founded by the team behind OpenFeint - a networking platform that united mobile games with achievements and social functionality - Discord has raised over $30M from top VCs like Greylock, Benchmark, Accel, and Tencent.
Want to learn more about Discord? Visit Discord's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.