Senior Manager, Product Communications
Discord, San Francisco, CA
We built Discord to bring gamers together
Discord is on a mission to help everyone find belonging by creating a new kind of social media service that puts users first, is built with integrity, and improves the lives of the people and communities it serves.
What started as a place for people to hang out while playing games together online has become so much more. From artists connecting with fans to students recreating college campus vibes, and young entrepreneurs inventing the future - there has never been a more exciting time to join.
The job of the communications team is to help shape and tell our story as we continue to serve the 140 million people (and counting) who come to Discord every month. We're looking for a senior communications manager to help develop and tell Discord's story during our most important time of growth and beyond.
Reporting to the global communications leader and partnering with multiple teams throughout the organization, your role is to develop programs to reach industry and consumer audiences. As the product communications lead, you have experience with connected storytelling that educates and inspires consumers while driving the business forward.
What you'll be doing
- Lead the product PR function, working with colleagues in corporate and internal affairs as part of the communications leadership team
- Develop the team and expand capabilities to support Discord's growth and expansion
- Lead strategy and content development for new product experiences, demos, news, partner announcements, proactive/reactive compete efforts, and security
- Oversee media relations, speaking engagements, awards, and other public facing activities
- Build relationships with important press and influencers
- Help shape the news moments and overall messaging of our most important milestones
- Work with multiple leaders across the company to support the way we work with third parties (e.g., product, brands, and talent)
- Establish goals, key results, and a system for measuring and sharing progress
What you should have
- 8+ years experience implementing successful product communications programs with a focus on consumer audiences
- Success with social and content-based marketing approaches
- Can be someone within high paced global organizations where team members are geographically dispersed
- Partner across multiple marketing functions and provide product messages to press as company spokesperson
- Experience managing agencies from creation to execution
- Experience presenting to and consulting with an executive audience
- Develop our narratives and implement them in multiple formats including articles, video, podcasts, presentations, videos, and live events
- A creative mentality when it comes to solving problems
- A deep knowledge of the Discord product and audience
- Agency and in-house experience in a technology and/or growth environment
- Understanding and success with social and content based marketing approaches to employer branding
- Previous people management experience
- Deep understanding of communication strategies from a global and local perspective
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 18 paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Friends, coworkers, gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. Originally, we created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.
About us Discord is the all-in-one voice and text chat app designed specifically for gamers. It's free, secure, and works on both desktop and phone. Our mission is to bring gaming communities together. Discord's free voice and text chat is about making it easier for you spend time with the people you care about, create these memories, and land a headshot or two. Two hundred seventy million PC gamers use chat apps to communicate while playing online games. As gamers, we got fed up with many of these chat tools and decided to fix the problem ourselves. As a result, we've built the best all-in-one voice and text chat app for gamers. Fortunately, a lot of people love it. Discord currently has 45 million registered users with over 9 million Daily Active Users. The service sees 200 million messages posted a day, over 4 million peak concurrent players and a staggering 16 petabytes of voice chat data going through its servers every month. Founded by the team behind OpenFeint - a networking platform that united mobile games with achievements and social functionality - Discord has raised over $30M from top VCs like Greylock, Benchmark, Accel, and Tencent.
Want to learn more about Discord? Visit Discord's website.
High-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos