Staff Software Engineer, Machine Learning
Discord, San Francisco, CA or Remote
We built Discord to bring gamers together
Discord's mission is to bring people together around games. Tens of millions of people use Discord everyday to have meaningful interactions, whether that's playing their favorite games together, discussing the latest news on topics they care about, or just hanging out in their shared server space. Over 300 million people have signed up for Discord and we strive to continue building a product and place that connect people.
The Machine Learning Team at Discord is focused on creating a state-of-the-art Machine Learning platform that helps Discord scale and become intelligent. We use data-driven approaches, closely follow the latest research and apply ML techniques to unlock new possibilities within areas such as trust and safety, user engagement, and revenue growth.
What you'll be doing
- Build the machine learning platform that empowers our Data Science and Product Engineering teams, powering product features used by millions of users every day.
- Work closely with Data Science and Product Engineering teams to develop and deploy models to production environments.
- Build efficient solutions on top of Google Cloud Platform using Python, Scala, and Rust.
What you should have
- You have 10+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- 8+ years professional experience, or Ph.D in a quantitative field including Computer Science, Physics, Applied Math, Statistics or other highly quantitative fields.
- Extensive experience leading complex technical projects with successful outcomes
- Experience building and deploying large-scale distributed systems.
- Experience with languages used for Machine Learning experiment/implementation such as Python and frameworks like PyTorch and TensorFlow.
- Experience with machine learning paradigms and application of them into areas such as Text Classification, Semantic Modeling, Ranking and Personalization.
- You are a first principles thinker that can work with others to come up with pragmatic solutions — and then evolve and generalize them.
- You can take a high-level goal and achieve a shippable solution.
- Experience with open source and managed big data services like Kafka, Spark, Flink, Cassandra/Scylla, Hadoop
- Experience with data products on Google Cloud Platform
- Experience with Kubernetes + Docker
- Experience with Airflow
- Can write some real good SQL
Benefits And Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16 paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO, use-what-you-need sick days and volunteer time off
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Generous stipends for headphones, your remote work setup, and lunch on a daily basis (while we’re all remote)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
In a world of polarization, social curation, and loneliness, Discord is working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider. We believe in the value of genuine human connection, which can so easily be lost online. So we’re building a space where everyone can find belonging from the inside out.
If this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
#LI-Remote #LI-Hybrid #LI-AR1
About us Discord is the all-in-one voice and text chat app designed specifically for gamers. It's free, secure, and works on both desktop and phone. Our mission is to bring gaming communities together. Discord's free voice and text chat is about making it easier for you spend time with the people you care about, create these memories, and land a headshot or two. Two hundred seventy million PC gamers use chat apps to communicate while playing online games. As gamers, we got fed up with many of these chat tools and decided to fix the problem ourselves. As a result, we've built the best all-in-one voice and text chat app for gamers. Fortunately, a lot of people love it. Discord currently has 45 million registered users with over 9 million Daily Active Users. The service sees 200 million messages posted a day, over 4 million peak concurrent players and a staggering 16 petabytes of voice chat data going through its servers every month. Founded by the team behind OpenFeint - a networking platform that united mobile games with achievements and social functionality - Discord has raised over $30M from top VCs like Greylock, Benchmark, Accel, and Tencent.
Want to learn more about Discord? Visit Discord's website.
Come join the Gemini team and help us build the future of money!