Engineering Manager - Developer Portals
Discord, San Francisco, CA
We built Discord to bring gamers together
Discord is looking for a highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Engineering Manager to build and lead our dedicated Developer Portals team. As the manager responsible for the Developer Portals team reporting into our Internal Developer Experience Manager, you will have enormous impact by building scalable primitives and frameworks that can be effortlessly used to quickly ship internal products to engineering and non-engineering internal customers.
This team's mission is to democratize web tools at Discord and will give every person an opportunity to make their ideas a reality. If you are motivated by building internal product, working with internal customers, have a passion for seeing others succeed, and want to think with Portals, then read on!
What you'll be doing
- Lead a team of engaged engineers -- building autonomy, mastery, and purpose
- Work with internal engineering teams, understand their pain points, and set a clear vision and roadmap to improve internal product development
- Rebuild and take ownership over our Admin Panel, the largest internal product surface at Discord
- Manage processes and use your technical expertise to improve the Engineering organization and ensure your team achieves extraordinary results
- Work with other Engineering Managers to improve the Engineering organization
Who You Are
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer building product
- You have 2+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager and successfully managed a team of 3+ Software Engineers
- You have experience working with many kinds of teams -- engineering, CX, Trust & Safety, ops, and more
- You are comfortable writing the roadmap -- not just following one
- You are passionate about coaching and leading other engineers, but love to code when the opportunity arises
- You get to the heart of issues and lead your team to come up with effective solutions
- You have worked with product managers and designers to ship product
- You have experience with change management and have delivered large projects affecting many teams
- You have experience with off-the-shelf platforms such as Backstage.io, Clutch.sh, and Retool
- You have experience hiring for fast-growing startups
Gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. We created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.
About us Discord is the all-in-one voice and text chat app designed specifically for gamers. It's free, secure, and works on both desktop and phone. Our mission is to bring gaming communities together. Discord's free voice and text chat is about making it easier for you spend time with the people you care about, create these memories, and land a headshot or two. Two hundred seventy million PC gamers use chat apps to communicate while playing online games. As gamers, we got fed up with many of these chat tools and decided to fix the problem ourselves. As a result, we've built the best all-in-one voice and text chat app for gamers. Fortunately, a lot of people love it. Discord currently has 45 million registered users with over 9 million Daily Active Users. The service sees 200 million messages posted a day, over 4 million peak concurrent players and a staggering 16 petabytes of voice chat data going through its servers every month. Founded by the team behind OpenFeint - a networking platform that united mobile games with achievements and social functionality - Discord has raised over $30M from top VCs like Greylock, Benchmark, Accel, and Tencent.
Want to learn more about Discord? Visit Discord's website.
Birchbox is changing the way consumers discover and purchase beauty, and lifestyle products.