Senior Software Engineer - Online Communities
Discord, San Francisco, CA or Remote
We built Discord to bring gamers together
Communities play a huge part in Discord's mission. Millions of people come to Discord every day to hang out in communities for all kinds of interests, from servers where thousands of Harry Potter fans connect and geek out, to servers where students practice speaking new languages with native speakers halfway across the world.
At the heart of communities are the admins and moderators who build and run them. The Online Communities Group at Discord empowers these creators to build thriving spaces that many people call their second home. We believe helping creators succeed is pivotal to creating more healthy communities.
We're looking for engineers passionate about empowering thriving communities on Discord, and creating scalable and innovative new features to join us in building the future of Online Communities. To learn more about Discord Engineering, take a look at our engineering blog!
What you'll do
- Build new features across our iOS, Android, Web apps and the Discord backend systems. You will work all throughout the stack. It's ok if you don't know all of this right away!
- Architect elegant and maintainable systems that will power the communities on Discord.
- Work with teams across all of Discord such as our CX/Anti-Abuse/Infrastructure/BD teams to create the best place for online communities to gather on the internet.
- Fearlessly dive into the unknown alongside intelligent engineers challenging themselves and people around you.
What you should have
- Full-stack experience. We're a multi-platform team, so it's important to understand the development frameworks and fundamentals of one or more of our platforms: web (React, TypeScript, Python API), Android (Kotlin, RxJava), or iOS (React Native, Objective-C, Swift)
- A growth mindset. You view mistakes as learning opportunities and build upon your successes. You challenge yourself and those around you to continuously improve
- A focus on impact. You have an eye for what changes can bring a product from good to great. You collaborate closely with product managers, designers, analysts, and other engineers to define great solutions to business problems
- A sense of ownership. You believe in solving a problem completely rather than simply shipping a solution. You operate autonomously and follow through on your commitments
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 13 paid holidays
- Unlimited sick days
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Friends, coworkers, gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. Originally, we created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.
About us Discord is the all-in-one voice and text chat app designed specifically for gamers. It's free, secure, and works on both desktop and phone. Our mission is to bring gaming communities together. Discord's free voice and text chat is about making it easier for you spend time with the people you care about, create these memories, and land a headshot or two. Two hundred seventy million PC gamers use chat apps to communicate while playing online games. As gamers, we got fed up with many of these chat tools and decided to fix the problem ourselves. As a result, we've built the best all-in-one voice and text chat app for gamers. Fortunately, a lot of people love it. Discord currently has 45 million registered users with over 9 million Daily Active Users. The service sees 200 million messages posted a day, over 4 million peak concurrent players and a staggering 16 petabytes of voice chat data going through its servers every month. Founded by the team behind OpenFeint - a networking platform that united mobile games with achievements and social functionality - Discord has raised over $30M from top VCs like Greylock, Benchmark, Accel, and Tencent.
Want to learn more about Discord? Visit Discord's website.
Come join the Gemini team and help us build the future of money!