Senior Software Engineer - Messaging
Discord, San Francisco
We built Discord to bring gamers together
Come join us building the best-in-class messenger, where millions of people make Discord their place to talk and hang out with their friends. Our small, nimble messaging team is passionate about developing well-designed, scalable and innovative features to improve our core experience.
We are looking for product driven thinkers who have compassion for our users and empower them to communicate in new and meaningful ways.
To learn more about Discord Engineering, take a look at our engineering blog!
What you'll work on daily
- Build new features across our iOS, Android, Web apps and the Discord backend systems. You will work all throughout the stack. It's ok if you don't know all of this right away!
- Architect elegant and maintainable code with a focus on autonomy and support from the team. Propose and champion improvements to the product, engineering, and process.
- Work on meaningful projects that allow for users to have more delightful conversations
- Work with designers to develop delightful interfaces and experiences.
- Fearlessly dive into the unknown alongside intelligent engineers challenging themselves and people around you
Things we look for
- Full-stack experience. We're a multi-platform team, so it's important to have a solid understanding of the development frameworks and fundamentals of one or more of our platforms: web (React, TypeScript, Python API), Android (Kotlin, RxJava), or iOS (React Native, Objective-C, Swift)
- A growth mindset. You view mistakes as learning opportunities and build upon your successes. You challenge yourself and those around you to continuously improve
- A focus on impact. You have a sharp eye for what changes can bring a product from good to great. You collaborate closely with product managers, designers, analysts, and other engineers to define great solutions to business problems
- A sense of ownership. You believe in solving a problem completely rather than simply shipping a solution. You operate autonomously and follow through on your commitments
- Regular creative learning sessions, skill shares, forums, guest speakers, and workshops
- A collaborative culture where growth from within is encouraged
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 19+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO, use-what-you-need sick days and volunteer time off
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Generous stipends for headphones, your remote work setup, and lunch on a daily basis (while we’re all remote)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
In a world of polarization, social curation, and loneliness, Discord is working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider. We believe in the value of genuine human connection, which can so easily be lost online. So we’re building a space where everyone can find belonging from the inside out.
If this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
About us Discord is the all-in-one voice and text chat app designed specifically for gamers. It's free, secure, and works on both desktop and phone. Our mission is to bring gaming communities together. Discord's free voice and text chat is about making it easier for you spend time with the people you care about, create these memories, and land a headshot or two. Two hundred seventy million PC gamers use chat apps to communicate while playing online games. As gamers, we got fed up with many of these chat tools and decided to fix the problem ourselves. As a result, we've built the best all-in-one voice and text chat app for gamers. Fortunately, a lot of people love it. Discord currently has 45 million registered users with over 9 million Daily Active Users. The service sees 200 million messages posted a day, over 4 million peak concurrent players and a staggering 16 petabytes of voice chat data going through its servers every month. Founded by the team behind OpenFeint - a networking platform that united mobile games with achievements and social functionality - Discord has raised over $30M from top VCs like Greylock, Benchmark, Accel, and Tencent.
Want to learn more about Discord? Visit Discord's website.
Help the world share their story