Engineering Manager, Storage Infrastructure
Discord, San Francisco, CA / Remote
We built Discord to bring gamers together
Discord is a critical part of millions of people's lives—and responsibly storing and serving their data is central to the Discord experience. Come help shape the future of our storage systems (and whatever else we might build) as we figure out how to scale beyond hundreds of billions of data points on our Cassandra/Scylla databases and ElasticSearch systems, while ensuring reliability and security of our users' data.
The Storage Infrastructure team is looking for a highly technical, hands-on, and mission-focused Engineering Manager. You will be responsible for the engineers building out our storage infrastructure that enables Discord to continue to hyper-grow and innovate. This role will own the growth and organization of this team, including recruiting for the ICs and ensuring their success.
What you'll do
- Work with with our product and infrastructure engineering teams to develop storage services that enable their success.
- Use your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar and ensure your team delivers extraordinary results at the high technical level we set.
- Guide the technical vision and roadmap for Discord's Storage Infrastructure by working with your team and partners across the company.
- Mentor and guide the careers of the engineers through coaching and finding opportunities that support their technical skillset and goals.
- Hire, coach and instill a sense of ownership in your engineers
- Work with other Engineering Managers to improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
What we look for
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- You have 1+ year of experience as an Engineering Manager.
- You've have experience running large scale NoSQL databases
- You have strong communication skills and the ability to work well cross-functionally.
- You are motivated to help your team members succeed and have experience developing engineers of multiple levels.
- You excel in undefined environments and get excited about finding pragmatic solutions to complex technical challenges using first principles thinking.
- Code and production environments don't scare you, you are still an engineer even if you don't do it all the time.
- You keep up with the industry trends and can assess new technologies that can help us better solve problems.
You have been a leader at a company experiencing hyper-growth and seen what could happen next.
Experience with Cassandra, Scylla and/or ElasticSearch
Familiarity with Rust
Knowledge of DevOps tools like Salt, Terraform, Kubernetes
Experience performance tuning Linux systems
New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $206,000/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law.
Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $185,400/year + equity and benefits
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Generous stipends for headphones, your remote work setup, and lunch on a daily basis (while we’re all remote)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
About us Discord is the all-in-one voice and text chat app designed specifically for gamers. It's free, secure, and works on both desktop and phone. Our mission is to bring gaming communities together. Discord's free voice and text chat is about making it easier for you spend time with the people you care about, create these memories, and land a headshot or two. Two hundred seventy million PC gamers use chat apps to communicate while playing online games. As gamers, we got fed up with many of these chat tools and decided to fix the problem ourselves. As a result, we've built the best all-in-one voice and text chat app for gamers. Fortunately, a lot of people love it. Discord currently has 45 million registered users with over 9 million Daily Active Users. The service sees 200 million messages posted a day, over 4 million peak concurrent players and a staggering 16 petabytes of voice chat data going through its servers every month. Founded by the team behind OpenFeint - a networking platform that united mobile games with achievements and social functionality - Discord has raised over $30M from top VCs like Greylock, Benchmark, Accel, and Tencent.
Want to learn more about Discord? Visit Discord's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.