Senior UI (Graphic Arts) /UX Designer
Disruptor Beam, Headquarters
We are revolutionizing storytelling for our deeply connected world
Disruptor Beam is building a new generation of games for every screen, based on popular universes like Game of Thrones, Star Trek and The Walking Dead. This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing company, alongside a veteran team, working with some of the most iconic brands in entertainment.
As a Senior UI/UX Designer, you will work side-by-side with a team of diverse designers, artists, product owners and engineers to help create world-class mobile game experiences. The ideal candidate cares about making a great product both artistically and functionally, and is able to design in an iterative process to uncover the best solution. You understand established design patterns in the mobile game space, and design with best practices in mind. We are a collaborative team, but what makes us able to produce great work are the skills and experience each individual brings to the team. If you love thinking creatively to make great online experiences, have an eye for detail, are able to design a consumer experience, and enjoy working in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment, this could be the job for you!
When applying for this position, please provide a link to your portfolio that includes process and UI wireframes. If you have applications or games in the AppStore that you were principally responsible for the UI or UX design for, let us know about those as well!
What You’ll Do
- Design and maintain a UI style guide outlining and defining the use of color, shape and state changes of the entire game interface.
- Support and mentor junior to mid level UI/UX Designers.
- Review and sign off on other UI team members layouts and functional prototypes, ensuring a high quality bar is maintained in our products.
- Develop wireframes, create mid-fi comps, storyboards, experience prototypes and detailed design specifications that describe the user experience to stakeholders and direct development activities from inception to implementation.
- Develop functional UI screens, flows and prototypes within the Unity game engine.
- Work closely with team leads and the Product Owner to determine ROIs on new features and improvements to the live game.
- Grey boxing and building new feature UX experiences for current and future products.
- Stay up-to-date with relevant design tools and software; conduct secondary research into current and emerging trends in user needs and technology.
- Provide user experience design expertise to the company and advise individuals and teams which can include at times the latest game and mobile application trends.
- Creation of UI animations and user feedback visuals.
- Incorporate iterative design, live data and user testing throughout the development process.
- Create tools including interview guides, focus group materials, and experience prototypes to gather feedback throughout the design process. Create concepts using a range of prototyping methods: Adobe XD, Proto.io, video, paper or interactive models.
What We Seek
- 5+ years experience in the role of UI/UX Designer or Interaction Designer on game products and/or mobile products.
- 2+ years experience leading or mentoring a team of UI/UX designers.
- Experience creating UI in the Unity game editor.
- Solid graphic design and compositional abilities using typography, layout, and color, with an eye for detail.
- Requires a BS or BFA in Interaction Design, Interactive Media, or Graphic Design.
- A Lover of Games with a passion for entertainment art, games and functional and effective design.
- Strong intuitions about what makes for highly usable and enjoyable experiences that drive continuous engagement and social interaction.
- Experience prototyping, testing, and iterating UX flows for mobile games or applications.
- Experience designing core game loops and user habits.
- Mastery of Photoshop and/or Sketch to create wireframes and mockups.
- Excellent communication skills: written, presenting, and oral.
- Understanding of the mobile free-to-play market and current mobile game loops.
- Big plus: experience conducting user testing.
- Big plus: deep understanding of game systems and their visual representations.
- Big plus: experience creating animations and particle effects.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
What You’ll Get
- Disruptor Beam offers a competitive, high quality benefit programs to their employees designed to help support employees’ overall health, savings and retirement goals. Other programs help protect employees against income interruption and the financial effects of illness. Helping to support the needs of our employees and their families is a high priority for Disruptor Beam.
- We believe that rest unlocks creativity, so we encourage our employees to take advantage of our open vacation policy. Our employees take as much vacation as they want, when they want it, as long as they’re getting their work done.
- Start work earlier or later according to your inner clock as the core office hours don’t start until 10 am.
Disruptor Beam satisfies the human desire for connection and meaning through the shared power of stories. Founded by game industry veteran and entrepreneur Jon Radoff, and is backed by GrandBanks Capital, Google Ventures, Romulus Capital, and Converge Venture Partners, Disruptor Beam partners with the world’s greatest franchises to make unforgettable mobile games. The Boston-area company released its first mobile game, Game of Thrones Ascent, in 2013, followed by the widely popular Star Trek Timelines in January 2016. For more information visit www.DisruptorBeam.com.
At Disruptor Beam, we strive to be an inclusive and diverse workplace, finding strength in a variety of experiences and worldviews. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. You are welcome here.
To all recruitment agencies: Disruptor Beam does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Disruptor Beam employees, or any other company location. Disruptor Beam is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.
About Disruptor Beam
Stories are a part of what it is to be human: they entertain us, inspire us, and move us. Every once in a while, a really great story is embraced by our culture at large — becoming a “place” around which people live part of their lives. Star Trek™ and Game of Thrones® are two examples of this. These are settings that charge the imagination and have connected millions of passionate, dedicated fans into communities that span cultures, time zones and technologies. Disruptor Beam aims to satisfy the human desire for connection and meaning through the power of shared stories.
Want to learn more about Disruptor Beam? Visit Disruptor Beam's website.
Help the world share their story