Game Designer (Systems Design)
Disruptor Beam, Framingham, MA
We are revolutionizing storytelling for our deeply connected world
Disruptor Beam is building a new generation of games for every screen, based on popular universes like Game of Thrones and Star Trek. This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing company, alongside a veteran team, working with some of the most iconic brands in entertainment.
As a Game Designer, you will work with a team of developers to drive the creation of world-class free-to-play mobile games. The ideal candidate has a mix of systems and content design experience and has been an influential part of the design of free to play games that have cracked into the top-grossing charts. Their expertise in-game economies, monetization, and data-informed design will help Disruptor Beam launch a new Unannounced Project based on a popular IP. If you are passionate about building the next top-grossing mobile game for a massively popular IP, this job could be for you!
What You’ll Do:
- Design and balance best in class mobile free-to-play game systems, mechanics, and content for live and in-development games
- Communicate effectively within the game team and with project stakeholders to align vision, influence improvements and attain buy-in
- Collaborate with the team to build and grow a lasting free-to-play game that can support millions of players for years
- Advocate sustainable design practices and the use of data to inform design within the organization
- Analyze player engagement and spending behavior to inform game roadmaps for new and live products
What We Seek:
- Genuine curiosity in solving design challenges in mobile free-to-play genre games
- 2+ years of design experience, including content/systems created for shipped games.
- Authentic love for the type of IPs we work on
- Experience working on a live free-to-play mobile game; balancing economies and game systems for both engagement and monetization
- Strong understanding of design principles and basic economics involved in free-to-play
- Demonstrated ability to take constraints and shape them into elegant design solutions
- Willingness to be wrong and learn iteratively to find simple solutions to big problems
- Demonstrated ability to empathize with players and understand their perspective
- Excellent critical, analytical and communication skills
- Masterful use of spreadsheets (Excel or Google Sheets)
- Experience with data and content input using YML, JSON or XML
- Ability to drive design using data and metrics is a big plus
What You’ll Get:
- Disruptor Beam offers a competitive, high-quality benefits program to its employees designed to help support employees’ overall health, savings and retirement goals. Other programs help protect employees against income interruption and the financial effects of illness. Helping to support the needs of our employees and their families is a high priority for Disruptor Beam.
- We believe that rest unlocks creativity, so we encourage our employees to take advantage of our open vacation policy. Our employees take as much vacation as they want, when they want it, as long as they’re getting their work done.
- Start work earlier or later according to your inner clock as the core office hours don’t start until 10 am.
Disruptor Beam is a Boston-area game company that transports fans of beloved movies, literary and television series into the worlds they love. By linking game content to episodes and books, players become a part of the world as stories continue to evolve around them. The company's games are available on the App Store for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch; on Google Play for Android devices; and on the web. Founded and led by game industry veteran and serial entrepreneur Jon Radoff, Disruptor Beam is backed by a group of technology and gaming entrepreneurs from the Boston area. For more information, visit www.disruptorbeam.com.
At Disruptor Beam, we celebrate, support, and thrive on hiring people from different and diverse backgrounds. Disruptor Beam is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
To all recruitment agencies: Disruptor Beam does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Disruptor Beam employees or any other company location. Disruptor Beam is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.
About Disruptor Beam
Stories are a part of what it is to be human: they entertain us, inspire us, and move us. Every once in a while, a really great story is embraced by our culture at large — becoming a “place” around which people live part of their lives. Star Trek™ and Game of Thrones® are two examples of this. These are settings that charge the imagination and have connected millions of passionate, dedicated fans into communities that span cultures, time zones and technologies. Disruptor Beam aims to satisfy the human desire for connection and meaning through the power of shared stories.
Want to learn more about Disruptor Beam? Visit Disruptor Beam's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.